I'm not sure how to get the cheapest computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by piatti, Mar 12, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

So we have 4 persons in our family and have only 2 computers. It's a problem.
    I have two dead computers. VAIO: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VGN-FE770G-Laptop-Intel-Processor/dp/B000HM2RM0 (The adapter for this is only $10.)

and 2008 white MacBook. But I don't have an adapter for the MacBook and it would take $80 to buy a new charger. At that point you can get a working computer for around $100 on craiglist so I wouldn't want to revive the MB.

2. simsaladimbamba

But will you get a GOOD computer for 100 USD compared to the 80 USD you need to spend for a power adapter (and maybe HDD, if that is the MB with the dying HDD)?

What about looking at bigger businesses, as they might get rid of some computers, which might only need some proper OS installation?

And does every member of the family need a computer?

3. piatti, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

There are times when every member of the family is using the computer.
    Yes it's the same MB with the dead HDD. And I don't feel very good about reviving it because I would have to spend about $160 in total to revive it ($80 for an SSD, $80 for charger) while it has one inch to the right blacked-out.

What do you mean by the bigger businesses? I think there's a local small computer business where they sell used laptops for cheap.

Unless the Apple store would be willing to exchange one of the T-shaped chargers for a new one, I think they should because the fray happens at the square middle part as frequently as at the T-shaped part. Maybe I should argue with them at the store?

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Sure you can a cheap computer, hell you can get a cheap anything for that matter. But look at it this way, would you rather keep buying $100 computers every other month or just spend say $600-800 and get a decent used MB that will last you a few years, then you can use the charger that comes with the purchased MB and use it to charge the other MB. I don't see why you wouldn't get a charger for your MB unless there is some other problem. But the golden rule is "You get what you pay for"

5. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I don't see why it would be $100 every other month. I'm sure they'll last much longer than that? Does anyone here have experience buying $100 used computers and if it lasts well or not?

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

*Facedesk* no one can tell you if a $100 used computer will last. Absolutely no one's experience on this means anything. It could last for years or it could die the next day. You don't know, and anecdotes aren't going to change that. You also don't know with the used mac. Keep that in mind. I've seen all kinds of computers fail. Personally if you're that tight on cash I have to ask if you need a laptop specifically. With a light desktop assuming you have a display you could probably get a better warranty. Anyway stop lying to yourself. I'm serious.

That MB can die too. I see about as many Macs with problems as other computers. Being a Mac doesn't mean it won't die. If the OP is that tight on cash, I suggest he get something with a warranty and reliable warranty service which might mean a bit of research. He also indicated that the MB that he has also has other problems. Used Macs sell for way too much at times, as one major repair can push it up almost to the cost of a new one.

7. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

How are desktop warranties better? Could you recommend a cheap desktop? Also if I get squaretrade warranties on $100 used laptops couldn't I keep getting it fixed for free everytime something's wrong with it?

8. boriscolombia macrumors member

you know that by going to their website you can probably get all this info? and no they dont keep fixing it,

THE VALUE OF YOUR COVERAGE:

The value of your Care Plan is in most cases equal to the purchase price of your item. Each time you file a valid claim, and we provide repair, the total value of your coverage is reduced by the cost of the repairs.

Then if you file another valid claim with us on the same item, and repairs are estimated to cost more than the remaining value of your Care Plan, the remaining value of your Care Plan will be offered instead.