Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I think I got my terminology wrong. I guess I meant knock off rather than a third party charger.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I think I got my terminology wrong. I guess I meant knock off rather than a third party charger.
They aren't mutually exclusive. Knockoffs are still third party, just cheaper, and more poorly made.

But yeah, my point still stands: your computer is darn slow and can be fixed on the cheap with third party hardware rather than buy an another one. If I lived near you'd I'd have you buy the components and they be installed and ready to go in roughly 10 minutes. If you buy a SSD for your machine, it'll be faster than when you originally bought it.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Since I fixed things via help tech support things are better. Some things seem a bit slow still. Do you all want me to running he black magic disk test and post the results?

Last edited:

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I accidentally missed my back up to time machine day (11/1), so I was thinking that maybe I could just back up with time machine today... nope. I haven't been able to get things taken care of just yet. So I am expecting odd behavior. This is just new. However, I do have my back ups from this past September going backward and I don't know what my first back up is on my external hard drive. Since you all suggested it could be the cable for my HDD, is that a logical reason why I can't back up since I can't even get it to tell me how much space I have left on the bar graph and what takes up space on the bar graph?

Thank you.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 12.33.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 12.34.27 PM.png

I'm only posting the screen shots because I've noticed one difference between the Macintosh HD readings. I just noticed it a few minutes ago. So, I am guessing the final diagnosis will be the SATA cable. My question, why would the "about this Mac" Storage settings have a numerical reading and the Macintosh HD icon information basically seem like there is nothing on it except the factory settings? I've tried to find SATA cable failure tests, but I can't.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
My question, why would the "about this Mac" Storage settings have a numerical reading and the Macintosh HD icon information basically seem like there is nothing on it except the factory settings?
- There isn't a difference. Notice the three dots in the middle on the icon. It probably hides something akin to "498.88 GB drive; 398.91 GB free".

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
- There isn't a difference. Notice the three dots in the middle on the icon. It probably hides something akin to "498.88 GB drive; 398.91 GB free".
I was thinking it just dropped the second "8". That's all.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I was on the phone with Apple for most of the evening. It looks like it might be a bigger problem then what it seems. I'm supposed to use it as normal for a few days and they will call me back this weekend. Things were improved, but the HDD information that I posted earlier is still the same. Worse case scenario as of right now, is the HDD (or the cable connecting it to the inside of my MBP). Which will result in a genius bar appointment. So, I'll have to do something for it regardless or not I do sell it for the upgrade I talked about some time ago.

I removed a lot from a few folders on my HDD, too. I am not sure how helpful that will be until I get things fixed so the HDD information is readable again. (The technician on the phone thought that was pretty odd.)

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I was on the phone with Apple for most of the evening. It looks like it might be a bigger problem then what it seems. I'm supposed to use it as normal for a few days and they will call me back this weekend. Things were improved, but the HDD information that I posted earlier is still the same. Worse case scenario as of right now, is the HDD (or the cable connecting it to the inside of my MBP). Which will result in a genius bar appointment. So, I'll have to do something for it regardless or not I do sell it for the upgrade I talked about some time ago.

Look, a month and a half ago several posters, including myself, said something to this effect:

Your HDD or SATA cable are failing.

It sounds like Apple confirmed it. You need to replace your HDD and possibly your SATA cable.

Reactions: snaky69

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Look, a month and a half ago several posters, including myself, said something to this effect:

It sounds like Apple confirmed it. You need to replace your HDD and possibly your SATA cable.
Not to be rude, but you don't know how the conversation went. I had actually mentioned the SATA cable during the call(s). From their end of the conversation with both people they didn't seem to think it was that at all. I'll know more on Monday.

Don't think I didn't bring that up. I did. I'll reply with the final result when I can. All I know is that the issue (from the supervisor's perspective) is not normal and I will have to wait until Monday to learn the final steps one way or another. (I had the option of making a genius bar appointment, but since I don't drive and depend on others, I declined for the time being. (I also was by myself, and that would have been better for the time being. I can always arrange an appointment once I know I can arrange it.)

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
As it stands, since the above mentioned things mentioned were not issue whatsoever, I have a genius bar appointment tomorrow. The person on the other end of the conversation was just as stumped as the the two individuals I talked to days before. I don't know the outcome, but who knows maybe in the end it'll be an easy fix.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
The man at the Apple store ran a test (or a few). I believe he said it was some sort of bracket. However, I can't get my HDD information to show up in the "About this Mac" window. I tried last night, and I tried again this morning. I do have the option of going back, but is there any kind of diagnostic test I can do in the meantime before I go back?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
The man at the Apple store ran a test (or a few). I believe he said it was some sort of bracket. However, I can't get my HDD information to show up in the "About this Mac" window. I tried last night, and I tried again this morning. I do have the option of going back, but is there any kind of diagnostic test I can do in the meantime before I go back?
You've done enough diagnosticing (if that's even a word).

Your hard drive is kicking the bucket, plain and simple.

Remember, Apple Genius is a job description, not an indicator of how qualified you are for the position.

Reactions: jerryk

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

It is entirely possibly for a failing HDD to pass diagnostic tests, but the symptoms you've described across multiple threads all point to the HDD or SATA cable. Just replace them both. One or the other is failing. At this point I'm not sure why you keep updating this thread if you're not going to actually fix the problem.

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
It is entirely possibly for a failing HDD to pass diagnostic tests, but the symptoms you've described across multiple threads all point to the HDD or SATA cable. Just replace them both. One or the other is failing. At this point I'm not sure why you keep updating this thread if you're not going to actually fix the problem.

New player in this game, but I agree with this after reading everything. Just buy a new SATA cable (which is $50 or less) and then a new HD, but I would suggest a SSD rather than a spinner. I bought a 275 GB Crucial SSD for $69.99 in my local electronics store. Seems like you need 500 or so GB, but that'd only run you $125-175 depending on brand and model. Mid-2012 MBPs should still be good for quite a few more years, especially if you get a SSD. You'll notice your comp runs 2 times faster. No need to buy a new Mac just yet. Spend ~$200 and you have an almost brand new machine that'll be good for 3-4 years at the very least.

Reactions: JTToft

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Is it weird that if my MBP is being charged things seem faster. I'm probably going to be going back soon and showing this to the technician. (I was told to keep an eye on things and if things didn't seem better, to make another appointment.) I would like an opinion on this. However, the cable was a known problem and didn't cost me anything to fix it.

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
Is it weird that if my MBP is being charged things seem faster. I'm probably going to be going back soon and showing this to the technician. (I was told to keep an eye on things and if things didn't seem better, to make another appointment.) I would like an opinion on this. However, the cable was a known problem and didn't cost me anything to fix it.

Sometimes that can happen with CPUs and energy saving modes. Might not be a bad idea to replace the battery (just for general principle due to its age). If you got the SATA cable fixed, just buy a SSD and that baby will last a few more years. I'm doing this currently with my 2010 MBP. Changed the HD to a SSD, will upgrade RAM, and replace the battery. It'll cost me ~$220, but I'll have a seemingly brand new machine that will last for a few more years until I want to replace it with a new MBP.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Sometimes that can happen with CPUs and energy saving modes. Might not be a bad idea to replace the battery (just for general principle due to its age). If you got the SATA cable fixed, just buy a SSD and that baby will last a few more years. I'm doing this currently with my 2010 MBP. Changed the HD to a SSD, will upgrade RAM, and replace the battery. It'll cost me ~$220, but I'll have a seemingly brand new machine that will last for a few more years until I want to replace it with a new MBP.
Thanks for the advice, I am waiting for the opinions of my cousin and brother who also have Macs. (A Mac desktop and a iPad, I believe. It really doesn't matter. All that matters is that they could possibly help me.)

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Guys, I want to apologize. when I emphasized the word "help". I meant they could do something offline to correct my problem since none of you could come here to help me offline.. I am sorry if my last comment was in anyway taken as being rude.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Guys, I want to apologize. when I emphasized the word "help". I meant they could do something offline to correct my problem since none of you could come here to help me offline.. I am sorry if my last comment was in anyway taken as being rude.
Anyone that owns a set of screwdrivers and knows how to use them would be able to swap the broken parts in minutes, with a proper backup you could be back up and running within an hour or two depending on your internet connection's speed.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Anyone that owns a set of screwdrivers and knows how to use them would be able to swap the broken parts in minutes, with a proper backup you could be back up and running within an hour or two depending on your internet connection's speed.
The last time I was able to successfully back up my MBP was this past September 1st.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The last time I was able to successfully back up my MBP was this past September 1st.

Sounds like the HDD or SATA cable is failing and you should fix the problem as soon as possible.

iFixit has plenty of guides to walk you through the repair.

Reactions: Weaselboy

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Sounds like the HDD or SATA cable is failing and you should fix the problem as soon as possible.

iFixit has plenty of guides to walk you through the repair.
I'm hoping its one of those two scenarios. I'll keep you all posted. I'm not sure how or when I'll get this fixed or even if I upgrade like its been suggested by someone. (Not on this site.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.