I'm not sure if my Windows Installation CD is correct.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Garbro, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Garbro macrumors newbie

I am trying to install Windows on my Mac via Boot Camp. I partitioned 20GB of space for the installation. The disc I'm using came with a Dell computer I had for a while. Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 is the version of Windows that is on the disc. It says on it, "Operating System" "Already installed on your computer". So the disk is a re-installation CD. I figured that it wouldn't matter if I used that cause it had all of the necessary files on it to run Windows. I put the disc in and it started installing and it looked like it was installing just fine and then at the very end of the installation there was a windows error message that said there was an error installing. The Mac reset and went back to the blank page I had when first started the installation. I had a hard time ejecting but I eventually got the disk out and my Mac went back to running normally. Did Windows not install correctly because I am using a re-installation version of Windows? Thank you in advance for any help.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sounds like a preinstalled OEM disc for another computer.

3. Garbro thread starter macrumors newbie

If that's what it is can it be used to install Windows in this Mac using Boot Camp?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Windows installation is probably looking for the proper BIOS to finalize the activation. You'll only be able to use it with the computer brand it's armed for.

5. Garbro thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm ok then. So that disk probably wont work then?

Edit: Ok I didnt read the last bit of your before post

6. Migra macrumors newbie

I think it's a problem with some XP SP3 discs, I have that problem too, when it finished copying all the files, on the reboot I got an error message saying there was an error with a file to continue installation (.dll I guess), my disc is a retail XP SP3, so I had no choice but to install Windows 7 ¬¬ which works great but I wanted XP!

BTW I can install with same disc on VMWare and Parallels without any problem, so it is the disc, or it is bootcamp issue!

7. Garbro thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like I have to go out and purchase an actual copy of Windows to install. Thanks though!!