I'm not sure what these files are ... safe to delete?

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
When I look in ... Macintosh HD - users - [my name] ... it gives me the below.

I'm not sure what all those files from 16 Feb 2017 are. Is it safe to delete them?

Attachments

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
What folder are they in?

What happens if you click ONE TIME on one of those files, then type "command-i" (eye) to bring up the get info box?
Does it tell you what app the file is associated with?

As mentioned above, they look like some kind of temp file or something along that line.

My guess (and it's ONLY "a guess") is that you can delete all of them without any problems or consequences.

But I wouldn't be surprised if more of them appear, if you're still using the same app that created them in the first place... ;)

Reactions: OceanFrog

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
They are in the Macintosh HD - users - [my name] folder.

I've included the info for two of the files.

I've uninstalled a few programmes over the last few years. My guess is that these files are leftovers.

Are they safe to delete?

Attachments

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
or, move them into a folder, put that folder aside for a while (or on another drive), see how things go.but they do look like temp files from some app (usually, you find this sort of thing in the user preferences folder).
Thanks ... I'll try this and report back here in a few weeks.

sbuntin

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Portland OR
Looks less like temp files and more like a terminal command line gone wrong, as if something tried to eval a base64 string into your home folder instead of into a file.

Base64 evals are commonly used in obfuscated adware infecting websites - any chance you were working on Wordpress plugins or something?

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Looks less like temp files and more like a terminal command line gone wrong, as if something tried to eval a base64 string into your home folder instead of into a file.

Base64 evals are commonly used in obfuscated adware infecting websites - any chance you were working on Wordpress plugins or something?
you can (sometimes) find these files in the user preferences folder; i have over years. seems just temp files, nothing complicated (or sinister).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.