I'm not sure where to post an iTunes/iCloud/old mac.com ID issue

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by brianlbaker, Dec 27, 2013.

1. brianlbaker macrumors member

brianlbaker

I have an older, round base, lamp style iMac. It has a lot of music on it.

I just tried to add it to the home share, and I realized the MacID on it is in the old mac.com format.

I want to switch it to the new iCloud.com format, but I'm not sure how.

It seems the only option is to deauthorize the iTunes, and then reauthorize it with the new MacID.

Will that work, or will I lose all the purchased items, purchased via the old MacID through iTunes?

I'd hate to lose those tunes. I'd also hate to lose access to the hundreds of CD's I ripped, via iTunes.

Help?!?

2. Bear macrumors G3

The home sharing ID and the store ID in iTunes do not have to be the same.

3. brianlbaker thread starter macrumors member

brianlbaker

Ok, but if I want to move all that music to my account in iCloud, so I can easily play it via my AppleTV, it does need to be thame MacID, right?

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I want/need to do.

I want all my music on one MacID, accessible via iCloud.

How do I go about doing that with an older (username@mac.com) and move it to a newer (sameusername@me.com or sameusername@icloud.com) MacID?

4. Bear macrumors G3

If the USERNAME is the same and the only only difference is mac.com versus me.com versus icloud.com then they are all the same Apple ID and should show identical purchase histories.

5. brianlbaker thread starter macrumors member

brianlbaker

That's what I thought, but it seems that those email address are so dead, and the want to send an email to the address to confirm.

I'll check again tomorrow.