I'm now a new Mac owner, but I have an issue :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groovdafied, Sep 11, 2011.

1. groovdafied macrumors newbie

First of all, I'm new to this forum and this would be my 2nd Mac to own. My first was a Powerbook G4, 6 months before they started introducing the Intel Mac's :mad:. Other then that, this 2011 macbook pro 15" is amazing, I totally underestimated its potential.

Now for the issue, I just installed bootcamp and the small grey bootcamp diamond will be in my system tray, but it will disappear (most likely crash) and I don't know how to get it back. Is there a way to fix this, because it doesn't seem like Apple made it easy to access their utility without having to reboot the machine. The function keys will work for muting and brightness, but that utility is not there in the system tray.

I also have one more question...is the i7 temp between 56c-60+c normal? The laptop is running pretty warm, maybe because Windows doesn't have the right software to utilize the laptop properly and is running at full power :confused: not sure. But I can use your help on this...

Thanks!

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

That's a windows thing and no it is not crashing. You have to change the windows notification for things in the tray ( something like show icon and notifications ). Once you make that change it will stay in there and you can right click it to bring up the console ( and choose which os is your boot default ).

You can always shutdown the machine and then power it back up and hold the option key ... that will let you force which os to boot on.

There should be something on the right side next to the right side icons that you right click on to set the bootcamp icon to stick around in the tray.

3. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Your temps are normal, as long as it's not shutting down it's not over heating.

I'm not sure I understand what problem you're having, in Windows you mean the boot camp utility is disappearing from the task bar? It doesn't need to be there all the time, when you're running windows normally there won't be anything extra in the dock.

4. groovdafied thread starter macrumors newbie

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

50-60C is normal idle temperature, they can reach up to about 105C without too much problem.

Nowadays people seem to forget/fail to grasp a very simple concept: more power = more heat. Your new computer is leaps and bounds more powerful than your old one, it's going to generate more heat in the process.

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

on the Windows side, use LubbosFanControl to control your fans and turn them on full blast if youre worried about it

7. nvh macrumors newbie

Newbie loosing hair

Hi, sorry, I can't find how to post a new thread and yours was close to my issue, but not really.

I finally got a Mac because everybody told me I should and I needed to get a laptop for outside work, vacations etc. I got a MacBook Pro this month. Nobody told me if I used a Mac, I could never go back. I'm hoping this is not the case.

I've already purchased the Mac version of Excel and Word so I can work together with my 2 other PC's (must have those programs for work). I have to buy new video editing systems I understand, but I"m going to leave the other stuff as is for now while I grope. So, the problem is this: I bought a new WD 1T external so I could utilize the Mac outside and then bring the data back to the PC. I need to share my data between the Mac and the PC. Is this not possible? [Even with a smaller WD Xternal with Mac smart ware, it won't let me write to the disc when I"m on the Mac.) I'm having issue after issue with this and wondering if there's a way to make this new hd work. If anybody is out there, I'd love to give more info. But...want to check first.
    Thanks

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

9. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

your external hd/usb drive needs to be formatted in FAT32 in order for it to be readable by both MacOSx and Windows.

if its formatted in MacOS Journaled it can't be read by Windows...
    and if its formatted in NTFS it can't be read by MacOSx...

10. mgdominguez macrumors newbie

As canucksfan88 said, the external drive has to be formatted as FAT32, so all of your machines can read and write data.

However, a second option is exFAT, but ONLY if both of your PC's are running Windows 7 (or Vista, I'm not sure if it supports exFAT). One main advantage over FAT32 is that exFAT supports files larger than 4GB, so if you work with these kind of files, think about it. There are some tools that can convert from one file system to the other, just be careful and have a backup in case something goes bad.