I'm officially in love.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mwhities, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mwhities macrumors 6502a

First stime Macbook owner here (first system purchase from Apple) and I'm loving it.

Only upgrades that have been done was 2gigs of ram up to 4gigs. It's a Mid 2010 White Macbook and I'm the second owner of it. The first owner had upgraded the ram and didn't know (not a "real" Apple fan) that it would actually support 8gigs so, he didn't do it, otherwise he would've.

For the last three weeks or so I've had this Macbook, I've restarted it (shutdown/turn back on) four times. ONLY because VMWare Fusion was/had ate up most of the ram. I'm sure I did't have to do it but, out of habit (PC user), I restarted it.

Any other time, I just close the lid and put it in my bag and go home or work and open it back up. Works flawlessly. They keyboard is great, I didn't think I'd like the keys spaced out the way they are but, with my big hand, it's helped out tremendously. I've become accustomed to the delete key too. For the first week or so, I kept hitting the - or = key instead. It seems to be a little bit more of a reach but, hitting the delete key is no longer an issue.

The screen (the resolution being so small) is REALLY nice. My wife and I watched a DVD on it while laying in bed and she commented on how much better it looked than my previous Dell Inspiron 1545. Everything looks better on it. Even the YouTube videos and Vimeo vidoes look incredible. I installed Portal just to see it (via Steam) and it blew me away. I'm about to try WOW in a few.

The 13" design is great too. My previous way of thinking, I figured it would be to small (screen/res) but, it's be fantastic. It's light weight (I'm itching for a 13" MBA now.) and very portable. Compared to my previous Dell, this thing is a feather. My Dell was heavy, very wide (number pad on the right) and cumbersome. I thought I liked it until I laid my hand on the Macbook.

Overall, this is the finest system I've ever owned. There really hasn't been anything I've thrown at it couldn't handle. Granted, I'm not a huge power user but, I do hit it with a lot of programs. I keep chrome open all the time with at last 7 or 8 tabs open. At times I can have upward of 12 or so. Plus, I'll have VMWare up and running (which does slow it down but, not to where it's unusable.) WinXPPro (Packet Tracer and practice tests) and sometimes a linux install of some sort.

I don't do any movie or photo editing (I'd like to start learning so I can get them gathered and setup for my wife (two boys and TONS of pictures/movies unedited.)) and family. I did play with iMovie and it did seem to slow the system down quite a bit when it rendered it but, again, the system was still usable.

I guess I'll finish this up now. I'm sure I could go on and on but, I'll spare all of you... if any actually read it. :)

I'm just a new owner and I hope this post will help other decided whether or not if the want to buy the Macbook or not. I'd say go for it if you are looking at one. From all the posts I've read, it seems the Macbook is a real solid system and are work horses.

Ok, I'll stop now.

2. aleXXXps macrumors member

This girl I knew once told me, "once you go mac, you never go back"....or wait maybe she said something else? Either way, welcome to the club!

3. alexpja macrumors member

That's how I felt in 2009, when I got my MacBook Pro (which I'm typing on due to the fact I just damaged my Black MacBook recently :(), and was quite amazed by the screen and how much FASTER it was than my PC! :eek: Hope you enjoy your Mac! :D!

4. mwhities thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never want to go back. It's just "perfect"... I know 145654768+ other people say that but, that's how I feel that Steve Jobs designed it.

I only have one-arm and I can almost touch type on this keyboard. Love it.

I went to the Apple Store and I played with all the Macbook Pros and at that time, I didn't really like it. When I played with this Macbook, I really liked it. I assume they are almost the same design... not sure.

I just feel 100% more comfortable on the Macbook than I did on any of my previous laptops.

And thank you, I AM enjoying it...

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Glad you like it!

FWIW, closing an application causes it to release the RAM it's been holding. So if VMWare is hogging all your RAM, quit it and you'll get the RAM back.

6. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

It's nice to see reviews on here, that's one thing MR is generally missing. Thanks!

:)

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Like the iPod Nano, the plastic MacBook is(I mean was) a gateway drug ;)

8. mwhities thread starter macrumors 6502a

Should've known, I guess I could've checked the Force Close too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks. I didn't really think of it as being a review but, now that I read it again, it does seem like it. Thank you.

I am! :)

haha I started when my wife bought me a Classic 32G iPod. Then iPhones and finally went to the systems. I'm sure I'll update in the next few years (at least after AC expires). Maybe by then the MBA's will be redesigned again....

Thanks all.