I'm officially no longer waiting for Nehalem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by oban14, Jan 16, 2008.

1. oban14 macrumors 6502a

As I wanted an 8800GT, I figured I'd just wait until MWSF and see if the MBA could tide me over until Nehalem. It can't. I don't want a current MBP. I just ordered 8 gigs of mac pro ram from OWC and will be ordering a new Mac Pro through the ADC program later today.

This will be my first Mac. It sucks that we have to wait for the 8800GT so long, but then again, that delay kept me from feeling rushed and allowed me to wait for MWSF.

Does anyone have any recomendation as far as the bluetooth mouse/keyboard upgrades? I don't want to have to worry about battery life but the increase in price through the ADC is pretty minor.

Looking forward to taking the plunge! :D

2. exspes macrumors member

Don't use the mighty mouse, wired or wireless.

My favorite mice have always been Logitech's gaming grade mice. I have used the MX518 for the past few years. The G5 and G7 are just as nice, newer.

3. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Congrats. You will enjoy the digital "smoothness" of Macs. It's kind of like the difference between slamming the door of a Mercedes vs. a Toyota Tercel -- Macs just "feel" substantial.

I have been waiting for a long time for this update and managed to hold off buying one instantly last Tuesday. I wanted to wait until MWSF to see if 10.5.2 would come out, but there was no word. I also wanted to read the comments of early buyers to see if any consistent quality issues came up. I've seen a few threads but nothing serious.

My biggest problem is that I need a new Mac for Pro Tools which currently only runs on Tiger, and the new MP won't run Tiger (well, if at all). I'm hoping Digidesign will get their sh*t together soon because if Leopard compatibility is months away, then I may be close enough to Nehalem to wait. I suspect Nehalem will be the first "real" Intel Mac. As amazing as Penryn is, it -- along with the 2006 MP -- feels like a half breed Mac for some reason. However, I will buy one because I need the power. I am not an "infinite waiter". I'll just sell the Penryn box and get a Nehalem later this year.

4. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll probably do the same thing when Nehalem comes out... Can't wait to get rid of FSB technology. But this is going to allow me to do everything I want it to do right now. I might be effectively leasing Mac Pros and paying a couple hundred bucks to upgrade every 18 months or so.