I'm on my 3rd Macbook Aluminum!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by philosopherdog, Dec 29, 2008.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

Actually, this is my 1st Mac! I mean I just switched from the PC world.... My HP notebook just died one day, totally unceremoniously; a little fitz is about all. I bought and returned a Thinkpad T400 Elite; I once owed a Thinkpad and thought I'd go back, not. Complete junk.

I have to confess, I was one of those people who always told people not to buy Mac. I was a serious AntiMacite. But in my desperation to buy a quality computer I secretly started reading some of the reviews of the new Macbook Aluminum. I wanted it to suck. I wanted it to run too hot, to catch on fire: I wanted class action! But most of what I read (horror) was praise for innovation and build quality. Of course, there was the gloss screen. Obviously people who worried about that excessively have never worked on Vista. And of course the hysterics about FW. I guess you have to have one for this to be an issue.

Anyhow, my girlfriend actually convinced me to buy the MB from the local big box outlet where I could exercise my right to satisfaction and return the baby if purchaser remorse overtook me; my prediction was that it certainly would. So, I had 2 new computers on my desk, since I hadn't returned the Thinkpad yet. I got the MB 2.0 version. One day with the MB and I couldn't even look at that Thinkpad tank. I was buzzed. But then I spoke to a friend in the Mac retail business and told him what had transpired. He said that he hoped I had gotten the 2.4 model. More future proof he said. Hence, my first return. I got the 2.4 ghz next. Right away I noticed that the keyboard was a bit off. About 5 of the keys were "crunchy". That's the best description I can think of describing it. It was driving me crazy. I tried to live with it; I tried to convince myself that I was being too picky. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore and took that one back. Friday I had my 3rd MB unboxing in a month! (Actually, 4th since my girlfriend also bought one). I can't see anything wrong with this one. Everything is great. No loose door, slanted keys, or crunchy keys. Nothing but glass and aluminum! Finally, after 4 computers, I think I can get back to work!

Here are a couple of observations. The current Macbook I have must be pretty fresh, because, although it didn't have the 10.5.6 update on it, all of the firmware updates were not available for it. This machine runs a bit cooler than the other. I would say the fan may be running a bit higher though I can't confirm this with numbers. But it is certainly cooler in the lap, a most important quality. Using timemachine to restore my computer from the previous 2.4 cruchy keyed machine took about 1 hour. Quite incredible. But the operating system updates needed to still be done, and I had to reinstall printer drivers. I am completely blown away by the Macbook 2.4 ghz. I don't see anything in the PC world that comes anywhere close to this box. I hope they fix the problem with ram updates soon. I plan to go for a 500 gb hdd on this soon, and I'd love to go for 4 gbs but I think I'll wait on that. Anyhow, I would recommend taking a defective machine back. You don't need to live with bad keys or what not. It's an expensive machine. Personally if I had a choice I would have waited for the 1st refresh on this machine. Let them iron out the rough edges if you can wait. But over all I'm blown away. :D I think we'll see a lot more Mac converts if MS doesn't come up with something much better than Vista and in a very very big hurry.

2. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I am a recent switcher myself, and I agree that working in OS X as opposed to XP or Vista is quite a dream. I was scared that I would have to re-learn a new operating system only to discover that I simply needed to forget most of the tricks I knew from the Windows world and replace them with logic. OS X is a very logical system, and it's surprisingly intuitive to use.

Needless to say, I am very happy with my decision to switch and I wish I had done it much earlier.:D

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I agree, I switched in October 2008 - not that anything was wrong with my Vista machine I thought I would give Apple a try (I like change).

I can't believe how simple and easy OSX actually is... all the features on it are absolutely mind blowing and saves time for me (time is money right? :D ). Everything from iMovie to Hot Corners to spaces to expose is amazing. I love how its all built into the OS rather than downloading third party apps.

4. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

My ally MB came with all the firmware and EFI updates done as well......mine was made in week 50, so its about 3 weeks or so old.......

I think Apple have sorted out a number of the faults found in some unibody macbooks in the latest production models.......mine is flawless........

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Erm, where do I find out when mines was made?

6. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Do yourself a Favor and try Linux/Gnome combo.
    Looks like osx and runs almost the same.

QUOTE=petermcphee;6836035]I am a recent switcher myself, and I agree that working in OS X as opposed to XP or Vista is quite a dream. I was scared that I would have to re-learn a new operating system only to discover that I simply needed to forget most of the tricks I knew from the Windows world and replace them with logic. OS X is a very logical system, and it's surprisingly intuitive to use.

Needless to say, I am very happy with my decision to switch and I wish I had done it much earlier.:D[/QUOTE]

7. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

8. California macrumors 68040

California

9. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Yes you are right.......but that is because the model is still very new.....

10. Bupkus macrumors newbie

I have been a Mac user since the mid-80's...but went through a PC period during my online death match Quake days.

For the last 14 years I have been a Network Engineer...CCNA, and MCSE. During the day I work with Windows XP, Vista Ent and Ultimate, Linux and Windows Server products. The shop I work for has HP servers and a mix of Lenovo and Dell workstations and laptops. At night I go home to a iMac, Mac Mini (Media Center) and my new MacBook 2.0ghz. I also have a ASUS laptop running Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Personally I love OS-X and it is my desktop OS of choice. I like the inherent security of UNIX and it runs all the apps I use at home, yet can still access my DotNet stuff thought VMWare/XP.

But what my experience with both OS-X and Vista has show me is they are both equally good desktop OS's. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and I have yet to see an argument showing one is better then the other.

I see a lot of these "I have seen the light" threads right next to the my Mac won't boot, my keys are crooked, screen stopped working and my system keeps rebooting. The reality is computing today can be a great experience no matter what system you buy.

But Mac's do look cooler.....:D

11. MacGuy84 macrumors member

Well said.