I'm on my 5th pair of EarPods

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by squizzler, Feb 11, 2019.

1. squizzler macrumors newbie

squizzler

Doesn't sound as impressive at the alleged 16 iPhone XS but hey....

Since I bought my iPhone XS on 21st of September last year I resorted to replacing EarPods 4 times which makes me on my 5th pair for the moment. They would randomly change, start/stop songs, hang up on calls and etc which points at intermittent connection somewhere along the wire or connecter. I'm not a fussy user and normally don't complain stuff but it made it impossible to listen to music which I do a lot.

The reason of me posting this in the first place is to get your thoughts on this. Is it deliberate that Apple makes EarPods of inferior quality to push people to buy airPods? I never had it so bad with mini jack EarPods with my previous phone. 5 pairs of headphones in 4 months is just unacceptable. I'm sure this won't the last time I have to replace them again. I know the obvious answer will be - get airPods and stop moaning - which I might do but it's not the point. Apple is using unfair tactics to push their products on people. #nogoodapple

Any thoughts?

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

2. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Maybe you’re not treating them very well?

But anyway, this is a messagem from the Sennheiser gods for you to consider their products instead of Apple’s crap. There’s one thing they still cannot do right and that thing is audio.

3. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

You could buy a $25 pair of Anker Bluetooth headphones and really show them who is boss like I did.

4. squizzler thread starter macrumors newbie

squizzler

Nope. I always nicely coil them so there's no 'tangledge' in the pocket. I do use them almost every day tho and very careful with my electronics in general.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You know, people love to see a Sennheiser audiophile on a forum. It doesn’t matter which forum on what website, they’ll come out eventually.

6. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Here's a list of brands putting out stuff that's better than Apple's with better price and/or value than Apple:

-Harman (JBL, Harman Kardon, etc)
    -Shure
    -Bose (yeah, I went there)
    -Sennheiser (like it or not)
    -Anker for God's sake
    -JetBlue earbuds

7. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Okey dokey. The AirPods charge quickly, pair easily, are really intuitive and have great battery life. Little things like taking out one headphone pausing the music are great, or putting the other headphone in the case plays the sound as mono through the remaining one.

Honestly I’d welcome an alternative which does all that. Can you recommend a specific model and brand for me? :)

8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

All this pairing convenience (which goes away after literally the 1st time you connect it) really is no match for actual sound quality. And I find "truly wireless" earbuds to be a ridiculous thing. You need to be all Go Go Power Rangers to put them on, there's an extra thing you need to carry and not lose, it's a mess.

I'd recommend the Senn... sorry the Bose Soundsport.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Righto, so you prefer sound quality. Whilst I love sound quality and prefer balanced sound & frequencies from MDR-7506s if listening to a mix, when listening recreationally on the go I prefer wireless headphones which excel in convenience.

I’m happy to say they’re both valid sides of the coin and luckily there’s a product for both of us. However there isn’t a product I know of which does exactly what the AirPods do in the same way, unless your criteria is “wireless headphones which connect via Bluetooth”, so each to their own. :)

10. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I have a huge soft spot in my p for übercheap knockoff electronics, so last night, I ordered some i12 TWS for $9. I'm really excited to see how they compare to the AirPods that arrived today—I'm sure there won't be much of a difference. ;)

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you haven't abused the pods in some way, I would stop buying them, especially after 4 returns.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Ewwww AirPods? Nah man you need Sennheisers. Have you learned nothing from this thread?

And the i12s will be just as good as AirPods, if not better — they’re at a significantly lower price, so if they’re a quarter as good, that adds up to 15% better when you take the dollar-to-product ratio into consideration. Plus they look pretty similar so that’s good enough for me.

13. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

The only problem is that they don't have the black dot's on either side that make contact with the ear. I should be able to fix it if I can find a black marker.

14. squizzler thread starter macrumors newbie

squizzler

They replace them for free under warranty. I’m just tired going to the Apple store so often.

15. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Ah yes, the black marker. That’s a good life hack. I tried a similar thing on my knock off headphones but the darn marker kept rubbing off.

As a result I had to purchase a more potent brand of permanent marker. It did work, though it had the side effect of making me feel a little dizzy whenever I smelled it.

A couple of days later I awoke with my new pods painted entirely black and the marker pen disembowelled; its liquid remnants strewn into a brown paper bag which was heavily creased from many a huff.

Next time I’ll use stickers.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Ask for some kind of in store credit instead. Don't know if they would do that but, it is worth a try. Otherwise, you will keep going in circles.

17. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I am skeptical of the OP experience here, I still have Earpods from iPhone5 days and still use it presently for runs and they work.

18. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

I’ve had the iPhones 5, 6, 7+ and XR and I’ve lost 100% of the EarPods I’ve had within 2 months. What’s the magic?

Also: I’m reporting this thread for bullying my Sennheiser-loving ways.

19. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Sounds like there’s either an issue with your Lightning port or it’s a sign you should buy AirPods ;)

20. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

“Is it deliberate that Apple makes EarPods of inferior quality to push people to buy airPods?“

LOL right cause the Airpods are the only headphones om the market. :rolleyes:

21. retta283 macrumors regular

retta283

I'm pretty sure that the Lightning EarPods are cheaper and more flimsy than the mini jack ones...

22. Aftermath747 macrumors regular

I have AirPods and Beats Studio Wireless 3 like a good Apple slave.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Then I don’t think you understand the AirPods, because they never been about boasting the audio experience. It’s about the convenience factor that you’re purchasing with the W1 Chip, battery life, portable case and 15 minutes of charging is equivalent to three hours of usage as another example, that’s what you’re purchasing with the AirPods. For the record, I actually think the AirPods from the last software update, has improved the audio in terms of how crisp and loud it is. Are they superior to other Bluetooth devices? Probably not, but I don’t think consumers purchasing the AirPods are looking for the ‘Best sounding quality’ bjjeottih devices. They want the freedom from the wires and a battery life, coupled with the ease of pairing with the iPhone as it is.

24. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

:) That's funny that you have lost all the earpods. I guess I am compulsive about taking care of my things. I have never had a case on my phone from 3GS on and have not lost an Earpod and are still functional. My lightning cable from the iPhone 5 days just is starting to die at the strain relief. The newer ones have not been unused yet.