I'm on Snow Leopard. What's the next step?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by regis169, Jun 11, 2010.

1. regis169 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I just bought a Mac pro that came with Snow Leopard. I've always been using "32-bit Leopard" before so this 64-bit Snow Leopard is a bit daunting.

My dumb question is since OSX 10.6 is 64-bit OS, do I ONLY NEED TO INSTALL 64-BIT APPLICATIONS from now?

OR

I can just use any apps (all 32-bit, and some apps very old, up to 4 years old) that I've been using before on my old mac?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

snow leopard is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. IIRC, both come on the distribution disk.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can install any applications that you used before regardless of if they are 32bit or 64bit. its likely that your snow leopard install still has a 32bit kernel, but that doesn't matter in the long run. just use it as you always would, snow leopard shouldn't cause any problems with applications.

4. regis169 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I didn't know Snow Leopard comes in two different versions (32-bit & 64-bit). Does anyone know if my Mac Pro comes with 32-bit OSX or 64-bit OSX? It's a 13" Macbook Pro base model.

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

It doesn't come in two versions.

Both "versions" are in the same operating system. You have the only version everyone else has.

6. regis169 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but I don't get it. So, the Snow Leopard has the capability to be upgraded to a 64-bit version?

So, currently, we're all running in 32-bit mode. But when we install some app that is 64-bit, then Snow Leopard can actually install it? So, the main framework of OSX 10.6 is still in 32-bit, but when required, it can also run a 64-bit app in a 32-bit mode? Am I getting it right?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can force boot full 64bit but it has certain disadvantages at this point, the main thing is that the apps and vast majority of everything you'll interact with is 64bit and able to take advantage of the pros of being 64bit, while at the same time not having to worry about compatibility.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Only difference is the kernel. Some machines boot with the 64bit kernel, some with the 32bit. Applications can be either.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

brevity wins. this is basically what i was trying to say.

10. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Basically...

Mac os is designed so that you don't have to worry about it. Just use the computer and don't think about it. It will take care of the rest

11. regis169 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks flopticalcube. I get the picture now. It's good to find out a new thing. :)

I just checked terminal and used command scripts, "getconfig LONG_BIT" and it says 64 bit. However, when I checked it from the User interface, it says "64 bit kernel and extensions: NO".

So, am I currently running in 32 bit or in 64 bit?

12. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

32 bit. But your OS is running in 64 bit mode.

13. madwolf macrumors member

You can check which kernel you're running by opening the terminal and typing:
    uname -a

mine says:
    Darwin radek-pc 10.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Fri Apr 23 18:27:12 PDT 2010; root:xnu-1504.7.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

x86_64 at the end means its 64bit, i386 means its 32bit. It makes absolutely no difference which one you're running.