I'm one of *those* people.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by neonjohn, Jul 5, 2014.

1. neonjohn macrumors newbie

I bought the mid-range iMac 21.5'' from Best Buy for a good deal (1079 incl tax). I like the iMac, but I have to be honest, the Serial ATA is a bit painful (6 mins to install OS update, 35-45 seconds to sign-in screen from boot) and I notice tiny hangups here and there that kind of bother me (running on SSDs for 2+ years does spoil one so). My MBA boots to sign-in screen in 12 seconds, after all.

Anyway MBA will probably be going away for repair (and who knows for how long), so I'm thinking I keep the iMac for a bit and then return it to Best Buy before the 14 days are up. Or return it tomorrow and live off my iPhone only while MBA is repaired.

And then I'll continue to ponder getting a special order iMac with SSD. Or just get nothing and wait until probably 2015 for the new iMac refresh. Or something. I dunno. The SSD iMac is just so $$. I half bought the iMac just because I've been on the damn fence for so long. Some people just have to learn things on their own.

Sorry for the kind of vent post. I'm just not into returning stuff in this manner (try before you *really* buy -ish).

There is no point to use a PC anymore.

My desk does look extra productive with both, though.
    [​IMG]

2. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I think you'd be doing the right thing to return it... I wouldn't get a computer without an SSD at this point unless I had absolutely no choice. You've got your MBA, so stick with that. Keep saving your $... you'll be able to get the one with the SSD soon enough... or maybe you'll find something even better to get. (I keep thinking the next big step in desktop computing is be "retina" displays. Obviously this has already started, but it's not clear, e.g., when and in what form this will come to iMacs and I don't want to get a new iMac until/unless it's got a high-density display.)

Don't feel too bad about using the 14-day return period... nothing wrong with using it as long as you don't abuse it.

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I ran into the same problem. I sold off my 2013 21" iMac to a family member because the HDD was noticeably slower than an SSD I'm used to. I'm also stuck debating if I want to BTO an iMac with an SSD or if I just want to keep hanging tight until a refresh. :confused:

4. neonjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I returned it today.

I'm just going to hold off on a desktop and see what they come up with down the road. I'll just live off my iPhone and do any major browsing at work until my MBA is finished being repaired.

These first world problems are a real pain sometimes.

----------

Probably hang tight. I really hope Apple gets the picture and SSDs are standard in the next round of iMacs. After all, Apple computers are premium by any measure so they should have current generation hardware.

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

FWIW I ended up picking up a 27" iMac tonight. I figured I didn't want to wait til the end of the year as I won't notice a minor spec bump if that's all it is. Even if we see Broadwell by the holidays this config will easily last me a few years for my needs. :)

6. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Be classic and read a book while the computer is getting fixed.

7. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

ANYthing but use a pc. :D

8. mlody macrumors 6502a

with SSD prices falling down like rocks, I am surprised that Apple hasn't responded yet. 128/256 GB SSD should be standard across all iMac . This dramatically would have increased overall performance and perception that no CPU or amount of memory can't offer/match. Other options like 512/1024 should also be available (at reasonable cost). If someone wishes for even more, than a fusion combination should be available for sizes above 1 TB.

9. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

Actually, SSD prices have been quite steady for a while already.
    Even Moore's law is in danger.

10. mlody macrumors 6502a

I am assuming you are not speaking for the US market?

Last time I checked 500-512 GB SSD - about a year ago or so, they were in $400-500 range. Now same drives/capacities can be had as low as $250-300?

11. roboGc macrumors regular

roboGc

250gb ssd is $160+ in australia i can't see myself spending that on a hdd half the size of the stock one i have now In my macbook pro

12. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

Nope, worldwide.
    The green line is minimum. (samsung 840 EVO, 250GB SSD)

[​IMG]

13. mlody macrumors 6502a

The graph like this is one thing, but reality is another thing.

On May 18,2013, I purchased Samsung 840 - 250GB Samsung MZ-7TD250BW for $171.84 on amazon.com

Today, a newer and better drive (Samsung EVO 840 - 250GB) can be had for $129.99 on amazon.com

That is almost 25% drop in a little over year. This is not stagnant to me regardless of what the attached graph shows.