I'm opening a new store. But need help designing the products display.

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by 66217, May 24, 2007.

1. 66217 Guest

It is a store in the food court of a commercial center. And I want to create some cool products display, but I am not sure of what app to use.

My plan is to print them and then put them in a wood background. This way it would be easy to change prices or names.
    But not sure where to make them, I was thinking about PowerPoint, but I'm sure there must be some other good apps out there.

Thanks in advance,

Roco

2. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

What is going to be on this display? Pictures of food? A menu?

3. 66217 thread starter Guest

I am planning of putting some images of the products. It's basically coffee, sandwiches and fruit frappes, being the fruit frappes the principal product. You could say something similar like a Starbucks, but instead of a coffee look a more fresh look.

And yes, also planning on putting the menu, including the price.

4. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

You probably want to use indesign (or quark), but I would prefer to use Apple Pages.

5. bluetooth macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

Indesign or Quark for sure. I would use these if there is going to be a lot of content text such as columns for menus etc.

Set up your layout in Quark/Indesign and then import your beverage or food images.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If your main business is going to be this store, and you're not planning to get into printing in a big way, Pages from iWork will be a lot easier to learn and will do what you need with nice results.

7. likeavaliant macrumors regular

if your main job is owning and running a store, then it would be wise for you to invest in a designer to design what you need. it will help considerably more to have well thought out, professional graphics as opposed to something thrown together by the store owner. sure, you'll have to pay for a designer, but it will be worth it when your store looks better in the long run.

8. 66217 thread starter Guest

Thanks a lot for the help,

Right now I don't want to enter in a lot of expenses. It is not per se a opening, more like a re-opening. It was a store that my dad started but never got to give a lot of time, so it never was the big business. And now we want to make a big change in the image of the store.

I'll consider buying the programs that are being suggested. Are they ease to use? I wouldn't want to buy for them an not being able to use them.:)

9. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

Not wanting to enter into a lot of expense, but wanting to dramatically change the image of a store and make it a big business...sorry, but those generally don't work. Higher a designer. If you can't afford a working one, got to a local Uni and a decent one. Students work for cheap, but can have good results. (I should know...i am a college student, but i also work for an ad agency and do freelance). But by all means...do not attempt to do this on your own. Rebranding a store is a lot of hard work, it's not just picking out pretty images and placing them somewhere. It's about figuring out the demographic. Figuring out what sells to that demographic. Looking into the style and image you want protrayed. Then sitting down and working through DESIGNS until the right one fits. Sorry for the rant...my 2¢

-JE

10. 66217 thread starter Guest

No need to be sorry, any help is appreciated.

I'll try to find someone who is not very expensive maybe, but I'll give it a shot myself before that.

I have always liked marketing, so I am going to enjoy trying.:)

We are planning in a near future to change even more the look of the store, and for that we would obviously hire someone who specializes in doing that, but for now we only want to prove to ourselves that it is indeed a business, and that it is worth investing money in it.

11. bluetooth macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

Just read the post and realized that you are also the owner, I thought you were a designer.

By all means, higher a designer - it is well worth the investment. If you are talking about buying software, you are looking at a couple K regardless (CS package/Quark etc.) plus printing on top of that. You could get some professional graphics created and printed for the same, probably less.

The other poster is right, brand image is everything. A Professional, sleek menu and graphics package will set you apart, especially if you are in a high volume area with numerous competitors.

You could even shoot your menu items with a decent digi cam and not have to worry about licensing stock photos etc.

There are ways to cut corners on cost - a seasoned designer will be able to help you with these too.

I am assuming you have a stand like the attached.

Good Luck.

Attached Files:

12. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Photoshop and/or Illustrator is probably what you want to use for commercial graphics.
    The final images for printing should be saved as CMYK "press ready" PDF at 300-350ppi.

You can have the images printed at very high quality and very economically online. I use 4over.com for my commercial projects.

BTW, public display of "amateur" graphics is a sure way to degrade public perception of your business. I can virtually guarantee that you will not be able to produce commercial quality graphics without at least some formal training in graphic design and top quality software.
    IMO, you should hire a professional designer to do the work and consider it money well spent.

GL with your business!

13. ATD macrumors 6502a

One other tip. Don't underestimate the importance of good photography, good food photography is an artform. Some photographers specialize in only photographing food. I see a lot of small places try to photograph their own food with a point & shoot with a flash. Often the photos come out as an ad not to eat there. You may be lucky enough to find good stock photos but if you are looking to create your own photos, get a professional.

14. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Are you planning to print them yourself? Are these, then, just small designs to add to a background? The reason I ask is because most people are unable to print more than A3 and I'm thinking that with a number of small pictures about it could look very "bitty" and home made if you're not careful.

If you feel you have an 'eye' for design and want to do it yourself then I'd say go ahead but suggest you take a middle road: work up the designs and have them professionally printed in a large size. You could do the menu yourself to keep the cost down as that is more likely to be changed.

You could ask a printer about the format. The one I use will work from a pdf.

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I would say hire a graphic designer. Having an application like photoshop and illustrator wont make you know how to design, it is a tool. Just like having a pencil won't make you know how to write a book. Also, photoshop and illustrator is pretty expensive to use one time and hiring a designer to do it probably wont cost much more.

16. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I would have though Pages as well, you can export to PDF and sent them to be professionally printed.