Im pissed off!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mac6272, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Mac6272 macrumors member

Well ive had a rough couple weeks in terms of Apple products I have had 2 iMac's with screen condensation and backlight bleeding issues Ive seen enough for now to get my iMac replaced for the third time, So i returned it for a mac pro seeing as thats my only choice besides the mini... Grab that and a 23" cinema display and im now 1500 dollars in the hole after taxes and such and ipod for my girl friend. So i get home turn the beast on , install leopard + restore from time machine and run a couple things test it out go to play World of warcraft and IT LAGS !!! Basically i cant evan run World of craft in native resolution (1900x1200) unless i turn the settings down from high. and put it in 1600x1200.. I think this is rediculous after spending over 2400 dolalrs on a tower and 900 on a display you would think it would out perform the current iMac... wrong... now im basically so undecided that i dont evan know what to do with my mac pro should i order another 4 gbs of memory or the ati X1900XT but i just still think this is just so ridiculous i have to spend Evan more money just play a game at native resolutiuon... I personally feel like just returning all this and get all the money i spent back but i need OSX HELP!!!

2. waremaster macrumors 6502

Hello. If you bought the base mac with the 7300GT that is most certainly the problem. I highly suggest getting the X1900XT and I hope you have at least 2gig in the system because the machine really sings with more ram and the better video card. I am really sorry to hear of your troubles in past machines but if you give the Mac Pro a chance you will love it. I know that having the base video card in an imac beating the base video card in a Mac Pro sucks but in all honesty most people who buy the "Pro" systems are either doing photoshop and web design (Nvidia 7300GT) or are doing moderate to heavy 3d work (Ati X1900XT) or doing extreme video work rendering and such (Nvidia Quadro 4500).

We as consumers would fall into the middle group with gaming and photoshop and some 3D work hence the need for the ATI X1900XT.

I hope this will help clear things up.

3. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

The graphics card is not a problem....the Macbook can run WoW very decently according to benchmarks.

4. Mac6272 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it does suck i have 4 gbs on the way so soon to have 5gbs and i guess for xmas ill get the x1900xt upgrade kit from apple unless anyone knows a cheaper source??

5. iSavant macrumors regular

I got the X1900 kit from Apple last July. I'm happy with it. I don't do windows and don't game though.

With any luck, there will be other upgrade options available soon... just any old day now according to most. The Mac Pro is soon to undergo a major ( or minor ) refresh and some updated graphics card options are much anticipated.

Enjoy your new MacPro and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine!

6. waremaster macrumors 6502

There are a couple of things that come into play with the Mac Pro 1 is the ram used in the Mac Pro is fully buffered ECC ram which is a small bit slower (latency) wise than standard DDR2 ram and it runs in serial vs parallel of the normal ram used in run of the mill systems look at anandtechs review on ram in the Mac Pro. 2 also keep in mind the Mac Pro was designed as a workstation not a gaming system. Although the machine does perform like a beast when configured accordingly.

7. Mac6272 thread starter macrumors member

Well what do you guys recommend do get it up to gaming spec just x1900xt and the 5 gigs of ram??

8. Mac6272 thread starter macrumors member

Well what do you guys recommend do get it up to gaming specifications just x1900xt and the 5 gigs of ram??

9. waremaster macrumors 6502

Yes that will be perfect.

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

I have a 4-core with 9 gig RAM and a 1900Xt and it runs FPS games very well in both Windows XP and OSX at 1280x1024 on a 30" ACD. I doubt you'd need that much RAM

11. chv400 macrumors 6502

Do you have spaces running?
    A friend of mine had issues running games with it turned on, disabling spaces seemed to improve game performance.

12. akadmon macrumors 68010

Not a gamer myself, but my daughter runs WoW on my standard (7300 GT equipped) Mac Pro without any problems. I think the issues you're having are because of low RAM (I have 6 GB RAM). I've had a very good experience with 7300GT, whereas the alternative (X1900XT ) seems to be hot or miss for a lot of folks. One thing that I appreciate is that 7300GT is absolutely quiet, unlike X1900XT which can be awful noisy when pushed.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Trust me, a Geforce 7300GT is starving for bandwidth at 1920 x 1200. I would quite frankly be surprised if it wasn't a slideshow at that resolution.

Of course having only 1GB of ram is not going to help either.

14. akadmon macrumors 68010

It runs fine at 1920 x1200 on my MP. OP should first install the extra RAM and judge for himself.

15. scottious macrumors newbie

I'm having bad experiences with the 7300GT. I'm not surprised that you're getting poor performance on WoW. Even with HL2, I get very poor performance with the 7300GT. I think the problem is that the 1920x1200 resolution is very intense and graphics cards have a hard time meeting the demand of that resolution. I'd talk to somebody with a x1900XT and see what they say about gaming performance

16. dralbertqnixon macrumors newbie

are you sure it isn't just your internet connection that lags...

17. akadmon macrumors 68010

Good point. I recently went through hell and back trying to troubleshoot my internet connection speed (countless hours on the phone with Apple and Comcast). It turned out replacing my cable modem solved all my problems.

OP -- what kind of download speeds do you get on speedtest.net? Mine went from <500 kbps with the old faulty modem to consistently >6000 kbps,

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeh but the MacBook has a much lower resolution than the ACDs.

19. ceres macrumors regular

That´s exactly the case. 1200 * 800 vs 1920*1200 or so.
    The 7300 is an anaemic joke totally out of place in any rig that is supposed to handle the slightest gaming tasks. Workstation grpahics are usually poor but the 7300 tops them all in terms of insulting the buyer. I would not get the 1900xt upgrade kit but rather wait for the next mac pro vga update kit which really should be a 8800 GT. That card annihilates the 1900 xt with ease.

20. seany916 macrumors 6502

for video work, the 1900XT is the better choice

21. Mac6272 thread starter macrumors member

I ended up returning the mac pro for the iMac again it was just much faster and snappier out of the box then mac pro by far. Overall i personally thought it just isnt worth it to buy a mac pro right now at this time for the price (until upgrades) + 1000 for 23" display it was crap compared to what i could have with 3500+ with any other manufacturer but i love apple and osx so im not going to give up, so i went and returned my mac pro for the 2.8 extreme iMac and im much happier and my wallet is alot fatter!!

And also my internet is deffintley not the problem i downloaded over 9,000 KB/S on Speedtest.net and 1.5 mb/s upload so in the end it was just the inadequate 7300gt that caused all the lagging in World of warcraft.

Thanks for the help everyone, I think i did the best choice for me though since i definitely don't need the power of a quad core at all!

22. akadmon macrumors 68010

I'm sorry to hear you didn't stick with the MP long enough to see if the extra RAM would make a diff. But hey, you saved yourself some $$ and it looks like you're happy with an iMac, so enjoy it! :)

23. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Where the heck do you shop that you're able to return stuff so frequently?

:)

I've spent nearly two weeks trying to get a warranty replacement for a power brick for my Mini from an Apple Store and keep getting forgotten / blown off.

24. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I know that places like comp usa have a set number of days. if you exchange for another one (or exchange and pay the difference for a different item) the do not charge any restocking fees. but if you return it for a refund, they charge you a fee.

25. Mac6272 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah exactly they did try charging me an open box box fee of 225!! for the mac pro but if you stomp your foot hard enough they'll let you go, im honestly on my 4th mac this week...