Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miicat_47

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2022
Europe
I'm programming with Rust as my hobby (mainly websites) and would like to know, if MacBook Air 15" (512GB, 16GB RAM) would be enough

or if I should get MacBook Pro 14" (512GB, 16GB RAM)

Stuff I will be running at the same time:

* Around 20 safari tabs
* Prob also Firefox with couple of tabs
* Discord/Element/Signal (messaging apps)
* Apple Music
* Visual Studio Code
* Docker for database (MongoDB/PostgreSQL)
* Terminal (SSH connection)

Currently those use around 9GB of RAM on my Linux laptop

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Yep you'll be fine. I run way more than that on my M2 Air (16 gigs ram, 10 core GPU) just fine without it even getting warm. Some of the stuff I do:

-Lots of Xcode/Godot/sometimes Unity development
-Running simulations in Houdini
-3D art/animation in Blender
-Music in Logic (I've ran 24 tracks at once just fine, it can likely do more I just stopped adding tracks because I got bored)
-Editing 4k video in Final Cut (although I know it can handle 8k)
-Gaming (mainly Final Fantasy 14)
-Creating motion graphics in Motion.

These machines are little beasts and I love them. When I ordered mine I fully expected to be returning it for a MacBook Pro but nope, it handled everything I need to do just fine.

Miicat_47

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2022
Europe
Yep you'll be fine. I run way more than that on my M2 Air (16 gigs ram, 10 core GPU) just fine without it even getting warm. Some of the stuff I do:

-Lots of Xcode/Godot/sometimes Unity development
-Running simulations in Houdini
-3D art/animation in Blender
-Music in Logic (I've ran 24 tracks at once just fine, it can likely do more I just stopped adding tracks because I got bored)
-Editing 4k video in Final Cut (although I know it can handle 8k)
-Gaming (mainly Final Fantasy 14)
-Creating motion graphics in Motion.

These machines are little beasts and I love them. When I ordered mine I fully expected to be returning it for a MacBook Pro but nope, it handled everything I need to do just fine.
Wow, that’s awesome! Thank you for the info!

Reactions: chrono1081

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Wow, that’s awesome! Thank you for the info!

No problem! I got my M2 Air last year when they were released and it put my late 2019 top of the line MacBook Pro (top Intel i9 processor, 64 gigs of ram, a $4k machine) to shame. It literally did everything significantly faster except for rendering in Blender which it was even with....until Blender made an update and then it cut the render times literally in half.

I'm stoked with these machines especially knowing I can now get away with buying a $2k machine vs a $4k machine when I need to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.