I'm planning to upgrade my Black MacBook, advice please?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DoctorRamen, Oct 9, 2009.

1. DoctorRamen Guest

DoctorRamen

Ok, so first off, thank you for visiting this post. I'm really serious about this, and i'm looking for a few things, a new hard-drive, larger RAM(possibly), two-high quality monitors, and if possible to upgrade a better graphics card.

Here are my current specs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So in particular, i'm looking for larger and faster RAM, and a larger and faster hard drive, I plan to attach this bad boy to an external monitor and I want it to be really fast.

Any tips, recommendations?

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You're stuck with the graphics chipset built into your mac. We all are.

I think you're overestimating the capabilities of your macbook. Again, you're stuck with what you have... RAM to 4gb and maybe a 7200rpm drive but that's about it.

And the dual monitors? What is it you intend to do with your blackbook? Gaming? Video editing? Again, your macbook really doesn't warrant all the expense for these things. Too many diminishing returns for the money you plan to spend.

A mac pro or quad core PC.

3. DoctorRamen thread starter Guest

DoctorRamen

What harddrive do you recommend, and i'm pretty certain my MacBook can support dual monitors. Finally, RAM isn't there such thing as higher quality ram as SSD hard drives are to normal ones.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

The cheapest you can find backed by the best warranty. Depending on what you use your mac for, the difference between 5400/7200rmp is negligible. Plus, the higher spin rate of the 7200 takes just a tad more battery power (not much though). These drives are also more susceptible to vibration because of the increased spin rate.

Yes, your existing macbook display plus *one* external. but in your original post you said you were going to buy *two* high quality monitors.

You won't gain anything. You already have 4gb of DDR2-667.

Take heart though in the fact you at least have the faster 2.4ghz processor. (I have the same specs as you). They don't offer this in the macbook line anymore.

The best thing you can do for your "bad boy's" performance would be a SSD.

5. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Technically you could buy two 3GB sticks of 667Mhz RAM bringing you up to the Firmware limit of 6GB.

Technically you could put in a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive, but your MacBook would eat it's battery and become far more sensitive to shocks.

Technically you can upgrade your graphics card. It involves selling your MacBook and buying a MacBook Pro.

You would be wasting your money buying two monitors. The MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac only support one extra monitor. The Mini supports two and if you're feeling mad you can have eight hooked up to a Mac Pro. The MacBook only supports resolutions up to that of the 24" Apple Display; and cannot cope with true HD video. At all. Ever.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Technically, he could put in an ssd card, though it would be like bolting a saturn five rocket onto the back of a chevy nova...

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I have a similar MacBook as DoctorRamen.
    And I put a SSD in mine and it was worth it - a nice performance boost! :D