I'm positive that iOS 7 was made for a larger iPhone (I made a mockup)

bertishere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
4" vs 5" screen

Everything's more spaced out and looks way better. I expect a 5" iPhone soon.

And I don't want this to turn into a debate about 5" screen phones. Some of you prefer it and some of you don't.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Honestly, it looks like it is spaced out to awkwardly.

Do a mockup with a reply to the message. Maybe that would prove your point better.

The flat design however does make a bigger perhaps wider iPhone probably more likely to not look weird.

Turn the keyboard sideway's and you will notice Apple extended out the landscape keyboard to fill the iPhone 5's 4 inch screen it is incredibly nice to type on now in my opinion. I feel Apple would increase the width of the keyboard if they did release bigger screen iPhone.

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
It does seem to be spaced out a lot more nicely on a larger screen. You may be onto something.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
I don't see what is happening here or why it looks like it's "better" on the 5" mockup.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
The only think about iOS 7 that suggests to me that there will be an iPhone with a larger screen is the new gesture in the OS. Being able to swipe from the side to go back/forward would minimise some of the issues that would come about in terms of using a larger iPhone one-handed and thus not being able to reach every corner of the device. This would mean that rather than having to stretch to reach a back-button, you could just swipe from the side of the screen, meaning a larger screen size would not pose a problem in that respect.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The only think about iOS 7 that suggests to me that there will be an iPhone with a larger screen is the new gesture in the OS. Being able to swipe from the side to go back/forward would minimise some of the issues that would come about in terms of using a larger iPhone one-handed and thus not being able to reach every corner of the device. This would mean that rather than having to stretch to reach a back-button, you could just swipe from the side of the screen, meaning a larger screen size would not pose a problem in that respect.
That's an excellent point. I agree.

I fully expect Apple to demo that functionality when they unveil the 4.7-4.8" iPhone 6.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Or, you know, allows for easy scaling across the iPad/iphone lines while keeping a consistent look. :rolleyes:

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
4" vs 5" screen

And I don't want this to turn into a debate about 5" screen phones. Some of you prefer it and some of you don't.

you should make the space bar bigger with the extra real estate

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I agree as well. It's tough enough to hit the back button with your thumb when you're using it 1 handed on a iphone 5. The edge glide would be great on a larger screen as well.

chraos

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Southeast
this was one of my first thoughts when I saw the navigation bars in many of the apps in iOS 7. we really need an iPhone that is wider. 5" seems to big IMHO. it would be easy to create an iPhone that is between 4" - 5" with a resolution of 1024x768 which is the iPad 2 and iPad mini's resolution without making it much harder on devs..however, that resolution would bring the iPhone back to a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of the 16:9 of the i5 so I don't think Apple would be willing to abandon all the "made longer but kept the same width because it's built for your hand" BS. iOS 7 would clearly look and function better on a larger screen so maybe the OP is on to something.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
4" vs 5" screen

Yep, design an operating system around a device that doesn't exist and, according to you, is suboptimized for millions of existing devices.:rolleyes:

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
If Apple want to keep investors happy, they need a larger screen and a budget iPhone this year.

Still very hopeful...

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Or, you know, allows for easy scaling across the iPad/iphone lines while keeping a consistent look. :rolleyes:
This. Yeah, the design might be made to look good on a bigger screen - like the iPad!

bertishere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Yep, design an operating system around a device that doesn't exist and, according to you, is suboptimized for millions of existing devices.:rolleyes:
doesn't exist because apple hasn't announced it?

i'm positive there are bigger iPhone's floating around on Apple's campus.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
I don't understand the logic behind this. A larger screen would make any os less cramped up, no?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
doesn't exist because apple hasn't announced it?

i'm positive there are bigger iPhone's floating around on Apple's campus.
You ignored my second point. Not surprising since it doesn't fit your bizarre theory.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
My television appears somewhat large for my living room therefore I am positive a new house is on the horizon.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
4" vs 5" screen

Isn't it the same keyboard as previous iOS versions except they changed the typography of the letters + the theme? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I can also assume the original iOS 1 is also made for an 5 inch phone by stretching and spacing out the keyboards equally?