I'm pre-ordering for the first time... I need your tips

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxray, Sep 11, 2014.

1. xxray macrumors 6502a

Hey guys I'm pre-ordering the iPhone 6+ tonight and I've never done a pre-order with Apple before so I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips on how I might be able to get through the process faster, easier, etc.

Thanks so much!

2. ronm99 macrumors 6502

There's not much to say really. If you want a subsidized phone, go to the web site and verify that you are eligible now. If you really want, try to buy a 5S now, and stop the process right before you confirm the purchase. You will do exactly the same thing tonight.

I'm not sure how prepared Apple will be for the onslaught of pre-orders, but you will need to start at 12am pacific time and be prepared to try over and over again if the demand is too high. I've been doing this for a few years, and in past years, it has been very painful (server not responding, dropping your order, having to restart over and over again). I think the last 2 years it has been much smoother, so hopefully it will be tonight as well.

----------

One more thing ... you might want to log into the Apple Store via the website to make sure that you have your credit card info already stored.

And I also just remembered ... in past years when the website was not responding, it was easier to just make the purchase with the Apple Store app on your iPhone or iPad.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Make sure you got your passwords to your account. You can go now and get the "express checkout" approved for one of your credit cards so you need not go through the checkout process.

DO NOT be disspaointed if pre-orders do not start right on time. I have seen them start later. Just refresh your screen till it let you through.

I got the 5 and 5S via preorder early in the am and it only took one try for each and was quick. Hoping Apple will do even better this year.

Apple will be renting server time from Amazon, from what I hear, to take care of the millions fo orders.

4. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Another good idea is to remove any passcode/pin on your carrier account. I removed it when ordering my iPhone 5, and it was a breeze. When I ordered my iPad Air LTE, I forgot. It timed out a few times.

6. techspin macrumors 6502a

There were no pre-orders for the 5S....

7. FazZa-3 macrumors regular

The website is unreliable and usually crashes constantly, at least it did when i tried pre-ordering the iPhone 5.

The Apple Store app is much more reliable as someone mentioned above, and i managed to pre-order the 5 through that without any problems even though the apple website was completely crashed.

Good luck! :D