I'm pretty sure I got audio from DVI . . .

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChrisM6484, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ChrisM6484 macrumors newbie

I need some help. I'm about to buy some cables to hook up my MBP (Feb '08) to an HDTV. I did it awhile ago using the DVI to VGA converter and then VGA straight into an HDTV. I don't have the cables from that anymore to test this, but I'm pretty sure I was getting audio through the TV.

Now I'm reading that DVI carries no audio. Is there any way I could have been getting audio through the DVI-VGA converter and then going into the VGA on my TV or am I crazy?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You are crazy. There is no possible way that Audio could come through DVI, much rather VGA!!!!

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Neither DVI or VGA are capable of carrying audio.

Might you possibly be thinking of HDMI?

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Maybe your particular MBP has really awesome speakers...

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i guess you COULD rig it up to carry audio ... theres enough spare pins .. but it would take a lot of work....

6. ChrisM6484 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yeah. After I started looking around at buying some DVI-HDMI cables and read that no audio comes through DVI, I started to think that maybe I just had just confused the speakers of my MBP for the TV speakers. How I could confuse the two, I'll never know.

But thanks for clarifying that for me.

7. 3247 macrumors regular

DVI is identical to HDMI on the link level. Both use the same number of TMDS links. HDMI just uses an updated protocol that carries audio as auxiliary data within the video data stream.

The type of connector does not matter as long as the source is able to send audio (IOW: able to speak the HDMI protocol). Some graphics cards will actually send audio through their DVI connector if the sink understands it. (Well, at least the AMD 690G on a Asus M2A-VM motherboard does.)

8. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

There are adapters out there that take DVI and toslink input to create an HDMI connection with both video and audio.