I'm purchasing a NEW iPhone this morning...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Oct 11, 2007.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

are there any MacRumors folks that have any SUGGESTIONS before I drop-in at the Emeryville, CA Apple Store? I'm an existing ATT/Cingular customer, I have ATT DSL 6.0MBP at home, and I'm going with the additional $20 per month fee for existing ATT/Cingular customers. Apple Store opens at 10AM (Pacific Time Zone):cool:

2. calvy macrumors 65816

my advice is to go to a cingular store first and upgrade to the coolest free phone you can get, then go to the apple store and buy your iphone, and activate it on the same account. Now you've got a new cell phone you can sell, or keep as you backup.

3. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good advice, but I just bought...

a new Motorola KRZR and my son will "inherit" it when I pass away! (just kidding), I'll ship it to him in Seattle, WA.:cool:

4. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

For the most part you should already have your ATT options ready to go. plan is in place, possibly taking advantage of business/military discount etc. If I were you I would be considering what my accessories options and needs might be.

look through the accessories forum and pick a case that suits you best. I would recommend INCASE, waterfield. Even though I bought an iSkin Revo i rarely use it. Some people love it and it really is a well made case, I just don't like the grim it collects in areas where the iPhone meets the case.

If you don't want to drop another hundred or so on accessories I would go with the following:
    For a car mount check out Perfect $10 Car Phone Holder for iPhone.

Pick up a cleaning solution with a cloth that's preferably "microfiber" (sorry no link)

Not everyone has one but I refuse to accept a single scratch on my iPhone :D . These pads are great.. I have one at the office, and at home for when I want to just throw my iPhone on the desk. Jelly Sticky Pad®

That's 3 great accessories for less then 30 bucks minus whichever case you choose. Well worth buys.

5. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Where can I get the INCASE...

by Waterfield??? That sounds like the BOMB!:cool:

6. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

None of that matters when you walk into the store -- all the activation, plan pricing, etc is done through iTunes on your computer. Whether you walk into an AT&T store or an Apple Store, you get the same price and experience -- walk up to the counter and tell them you want an iPhone, you pay for it and walk out of the store with a sealed box.

At the AT&T store, you're likely to get a hard pitch on a cell phone other than the iPhone, as apparently they make less commission on iPhones than other models and they don't get to sell you a plan in-store.

At the Apple Store, you get no pitch, but you do get a free month of One-to-One training sessions.

7. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

The Incase should actually be right at the Apple store, if not Apple store online.

Waterfield you can find here: iPhone Smart Case

I haven't tried the Waterfield iPhone case first hand but I have had other cases from them. Very well designed for protection, style, and ease of use. and they get nothing but praise from their customers from what I've seen.

8. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'll check it out...

at the Apple Store. Thanks!:cool:

9. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

This may not be the right place to ask this, or it may have already been covered somewhere, but I am thinking about an iPhone when my contract runs out at the end of this month...This is sort of related to this topic...sorry if folks think I hijacked...If I get a family plan with ATT, can my iPhone be the main phone on the plan, and then have my fiance have a different brand phone? My fiance does not care whether she has an iPhone or not, and quite frankly, I cannot afford but one right now.:)

Does anybody know for sure about this, or where I can go on the net to find out?

Thanks.

10. wlmowery macrumors newbie

You can mix and match on the family plan. We currently have a four-line family plan with two iPhones and two basic Samsung phones.

11. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, the Family Plan...

is the route to go, at least for myself, my wife, son and his wife. We all have different phones and share 1400 anytime minutes, with 5,000 rollover minutes accrued. We've never exceeded the 1400 anytime minutes, and our rollover keeps growing. There is a $20 data package fee that will be added to our monthly bill, but we continue to receive a corporate discount of 15% off our monthly bill. We've been with ATT/Cingular, ATT DSL, for over 3 years. So, if you package your local/long distance, Cingular, ATT DSL, and Corporate Discount, you can save quite a bit. Though our bill is about $239 (this includes the $20 data package) per month, we are saving on average about $40-$50 per month. Plus, mobile-mobile ATT customers is free and unlimited, also get the text messages (400) package!:cool:

12. WarMace macrumors member

My family plan is set up with the iPhone as the primary number with 3 other non-iPhones. The data plan also covers all your phones whether it's an iphone or not. As previously suggested elsewhere, set up your ATT account at an ATT store and get the best free/cheap phones they'll give you. Them head to the Apple store and pick up your iPhone. You get the Apple store perks and a free backup phone.

13. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

What do you want to know, in particular?

14. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

warning

Just so ya know..the incase scratches the hell out of your chrome bezel on the phone and makes it look quite crappy rather quickly...if you care about such things.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

16. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Thank you and everyone else as well.:)

17. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, got the 8GB iPhone...

with AppleCare for 2 years, (that's the standard) and walked out the door in about 10 minutes. I did notice that the AppleCare for iPhone was sold out on the floor, so they went into the back room to get my new copy!!! I'm having a blast with it, and paid $502USD OTD with the AppleCare. Took about 15 minutes to set-up in my car on my MacBook, in front of the Emeryville, CA Apple Store, and went right to AT&T within the iPhone set-up for my $20 data package within that 15 minute timeframe. I'm totally jazzed about everything!:cool:

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Another cute lil happy iPhone customer :)

June 29th was a pretty good day for me.

19. RosieO macrumors member

Do you still get your discount with your iPhone? AT&T canceled our discount on our family plan when I activated my iPhone.

20. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I didn't get the discount on the iPhone...

but, I do qualify for 15% off on accessories and my monthly bill. I called AT&T Customer Svc. and they said my discount is still in effect, since WE are still corporate partners with the University of California, Berkeley!:cool:

21. RosieO macrumors member

Lucky you! We had a 15% discount through my husbands work on the family plan and AT&T wouldn't let me keep it on my Family Plan!!!!

22. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry to hear that...

but you're not the first one that I've seen that happen to, so I definitely wanted to ensure that we still had that discount after activation.:cool:

23. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

SFStateStudent,

Can you give me the first 5 digits of your iphone's serial number and the LCD ID? I want to see if it's safe to buy another iphone because both of mine had the negative black screen problem.