I'm Ready for School :D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bubba22, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Bubba22 macrumors newbie

Well after a long time of reading these boards and other apple related rumor sites and debating on when to buy my macbook pro for university next year I finally took the plunge the other week and visited my not-so-local apple store.

From lurking I had seen a few pictures of laser engraved macbook's and instantly knew it was something I wanted to try. So I had contacted a local engraving company about possibly having something done. I quickly received a reply by email saying they wouldn't take on any such risk. I couldn't find anybody else in the area so I decided I would go in, in person and try to change their minds yesterday. Well it paid off and the owner said that he would do it after I promised not to hold him accountable at all if even the slightest thing should go wrong and he told me it would cost about $10 since I already had the file made up in photoshop and just needed to give him an illustrator copy :eek: Considering I had expected to pay at least 10x this much based on online advertisements I hurried my butt home and imported the design I had created into illustrator.

Then this afternoon I dropped off my computer and got a call right as I was in the process of making dinner asking if I could come down and just confirm a couple of things with the placement of my design (since he had never done anything like this before) and he needed me to unlock the laptop because it had the original design on it and he had a couple of things he needed to confirm. So I went back to the store very impressed that he was going to try and do it on the same day as I dropped it off. About an hour and a half later after learning a lot from talking with the owner it was done. In my opinion it turned out absolutely awesome. When I was leaving I asked how much I owed him he said don't worry about it :eek: I let him know I was ready to pay at least $100 for the job and I insisted that I pay him. He simply wouldn't accept any kind of money despite my attempts to leave some behind and walking out. I was extremely impressed with his business attitude and will definitely be returning if I need any sort of engraving in the future and will definitely recommend him should anybody have any questions about engraving.

So here's the finished design (original creation):

[​IMG]

And here's my set up (until I move into my dorm room):

[​IMG]

Specs: 2.5GHz, 15", 4gb Ram (self upgraded), 512mb 8600 GT, 250gb hd w/ 500gb external

2. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

That's sick dude. I'm glad the company agreed to laser engrave it! :)

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Very slick. Nice job on the design, and its good to hear you had such a positive experience with the owner. :D

4. Clarus9 macrumors newbie

5. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Loving the design and the setup. I'll be getting a MBP sometime in the near future (when Apple updates), and I hope I can find an engraver that nice!

Congrats! :)

[EDIT] PS... If you're leaving that in your dorm, buy yourself some decent locks!

6. Abhorred macrumors member

Hello, fellow Ottawa person! You should share the name of the shop, since I'm sure a few others would want to get in line for such a service... Of course, if the owner wanted to keep things on the down-low, then that's fair.

That's a seriously badass design. My girlfriend was skeptical until she saw it, then she started asking me if I was going to get my MBP frikkin' lasered once I get it. I told her no, since I'm a worrywart and want to keep my warranty intact. But, oh man, so tempting.

Which university/major are you going into?

Edit: Props for the old-ish school Sens posters.

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I've had that desk before

nice set up by the way

8. Pickoff macrumors member

Amazing design, but I would only even think about doing something like that if it only was $10, there are so many better applications, accessories, etc.

9. Bubba22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not going to give away the name of the shop just because I'm pretty sure he isn't looking to get into the business of doing this from talking to him and this was more of a one time he'd like to try it thing. In terms of the warranty though apple has said it won't void the warranty(just like laser etching an ipod doesn't affect your warranty). I'm off to Wilfred Laurier for Business next year and will hopefully enjoy it.

Just a note to everyone the engraving isn't completely perfect and there are a couple of spots where the colour is noticeable different if you are looking for it but the end product in my mind is still amazing.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

12. A7X21112 macrumors member

A7X21112

ya

nice stup damn man i got a pretty badass one to ill post a picture:apple::apple:

13. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

14. Bubba22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys. If you're in the Ottawa area and are interested in getting your computer laser etched send me a PM and I'll contact the shop and see if the owner is willing to do it again.

15. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

very cool looking and much better than a sticker!

16. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

17. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

That's really sweet. I don't even have my MBP yet and I'm already jealous :p

18. eddieiseddie macrumors member

eddieiseddie

haha. you proud you upgraded the RAM yourself?

anyway, that's great story, i never would have had the guts to go through with something like this; especially after being told that he wasn't to be held liable if anything were to go wrong:rolleyes: if you use that thing in public try to start counting how many double-takes you receive and report back to us:Dhaha cuz i'd be super proud to carry it around, not to showoff but to see the reactions of people who have never seen an apple logo on anything else but and ipod. seriously, the town i live in has WINDOWS stamped on its forehead:( congratulations nonetheless!:D