I'm really attached to my cto 2010 mbp. Don't want to sell it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by farmermac, Jun 22, 2013.

1. farmermac, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

farmermac macrumors 6502a

I ordered a refurb rmbp thinking I'd sell my 2010 anti glare I custom ordered back in 2010 to offset cost. But now that its time to get ready for sale im finding myself attached to this computer as weird as it may sound. Its been through a lot and has earned me a living for 3 years. It's also gained a big dent from when my laptop bag strap broke.... Now I'm thinking of keeping it. There's no justification as I have a main family system for pictures that wife and kids use. Only one laptop comes to work with me every day. I guess it could be a good backup for work? I got the rmbp to replace the mbp while it went for a visit to apple to get work done. I didnt want to drag a 27" iMac to work for a week.

Anyone keep a backup machine?

2. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Sure! Especially if you use it to make your living, it's nice to have a backup. Also, with the huge dent, you'll probably not get for it what it is worth to you.

There. If you're looking for an excuse, I've just given you two. ;)

Seriously, though, the simplest solution is to just keep it for a while and see if it still has a place after you get your new one. I generally do keep my two most recently purchased laptops.

3. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

its good to keep a backup, but then ... how many times you expect your MBP to fail?

if theres not much value left on your macbook, don't sell it ... might as well keep it.

4. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

whats your thoughts on the battery? the 2010has 352 cycles on it and still has 92% health. I really hate laptops with crappy batteries. I dont know how degrading to the health of the battery it will be to stop using it every day as i have been.

5. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It is 100% justified to have a backup laptop. In your case since your work depends on it, one could even say it is necessary.

Of course one can rely on backups + home iMac + nearby Apple store (to pick up a 14-day replacement machine), but having a second, not too outdated laptop available is not bad at all. Also I wonder if it is worth selling the machine since it has a dent...

7. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is the dent. Its not too bad but im sure its a couple hundred bucks off the value. I dont do photography work but i run a car parts business and everything is off this macbook pro. Well we'll see how much i love the ips display. My cinema display at work is the best screen ive ever used

Attached Files:

8. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Do you meat the Apple TD?

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'm keeping my 2008 MBP as a backup to my brand new MBP. Funny thing is that they look the same when closed, except for dents on the 2008 model...

I had planned on giving the old one away, but I've been very productive over the years, and now just about everyone I know already has a good Mac, lol. So I'm keeping it. I had upgraded it to SSD and max RAM and a new battery a year back, but it was still showing its age.

There are a few apps on the old machine that I decided to not migrate over to the new machine (Parallels, for one example) - those will stay on the 2008 version.

10. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

you got issues.
    you need some REAL problems to deal with.

11. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry wasnt very clear. Ive got a ips 24" ACD at work and this new retina display is also ips. Thats the one thing i think that will win me over and make me keep the MBP. i use my computer unfortunately for about 8 hours a day at work and switching both screens back and forth, the cMBP screen looks like crap all day.

12. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a