I'm really having some issues with these photo editing programs- help appreciated...

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by skysunsand, Feb 13, 2009.

1. skysunsand macrumors newbie

All I want is to take one photo, one of my car, turn everything BUT the car black and white, and leave the car in color.
    I've tried Magicbrush-photo. It -sucked- majorly for me.
    I should note, I'm running Tiger, 10.4.11, if that matters.
    I'm trying to use GIMP, but I have no clue of what an X11 program even is. Should I even be using that program for the task I want to complete?
    I mean, I'm not going to buy photoshop or anything like that just to do 1 picture.
    Any help is greatly appreciated...

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

You can get a free trial of photoshop, if that's all you want to do. It will probably have a tutorial of how to do exactly that.

Or, you could post the pic here, and some nice forum member would probably just do it for you. (Not me, I suck at such things.):)

4. skysunsand thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean to, I wanted to delete my post from the one in the camera section once I saw this category....but I don't know how to do that...

5. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

You could try Seashore. Build on GIMP technology and it is free.

6. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

You can actually do this in Preview under 10.5 if you're not looking for full-on Pro-quality results ...

Use the Extract feature to outline your car:

[​IMG]

Hid CMD-C to copy when you're done, then drop the selection so that the whole picture is active again. Go Tools -> Adjust Colour and move the Saturation slider all the way to the left to grayscale the image.

Now, CMD-V to paste your colour car back into the picture. Job done.

Cheers!

Jim

7. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Except you're not running 10.5, and you quite clearly said so in your original post.

Sorry about that - my fault for skim-reading.

Still, a copy of Leopard is cheaper than a copy of Photoshop!

Cheers

Jim

8. alex020869 macrumors newbie

I did this with my PC using Gimp and it was brilliant. I would post pics up but i don't know how to. Go to YouTube. Loads of tutorials on it. It's really easy and very effective.
    I just downloaded Gimp onto my new Mac but don't know how to move the pics to Gimp to alter them!! If anyone knows then that would be a great help.

Alex