I'm really having some issues with these photo editing programs-

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by skysunsand, Feb 13, 2009.

1. skysunsand macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2009
    All I want is to take one photo, one of my car, turn everything BUT the car black and white, and leave the car in color.
    I've tried Magicbrush-photo. It -sucked- majorly for me.
    I should note, I'm running Tiger, 10.4.11, if that matters.
    I'm trying to use GIMP, but I have no clue of what an X11 program even is. Should I even be using that program for the task I want to complete?
    I mean, I'm not going to buy photoshop or anything like that just to do 1 picture.
    Any help is greatly appreciated...
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    OK. X11 is Apple's port of the X Windowing System. The XWS is used by UNIX-based/Unix/Unix-like operating systems to give each running application its own window. Most UNIX/Unix-like operating systems implement their graphical user interfaces in XWS. The GIMP is an X11-based opensource image editor. Its power places it in Photoshop's league.

The thing that you need to understand is that no program is a substitute for talent. No matter which app you use, the app's most important feature lies between the keyboard and chair. iPhoto can't do everything, but it can do a lot in the hands of a user who knows what he/she is doing. It is already on your machine. I recommend that every Mac user purchase GraphicConverter. This little Photoshop even accepts Photoshop plug-ins. Then there is Photoshop Elements. There is hardly a better value for $100.
  3. Daremo macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2007
    If you can't find a program that works for you, I'd be happy to do the edit for you in Photoshop. I was going to PM you, but it seems you have your PMs off.
  4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Gimp is perfect for the task. However it and Photoshop both have a very steep learning curve. Don't expect to be able to get good enough to do this kind of edit in one evening. X11 is a graphic window system like the Mac Desktop that is used mostly in Unix systems.