im really new at this, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by niktuggs, Oct 8, 2008.

1. niktuggs macrumors newbie

okay i dont really know all the "lingo" for ipod hacks and such, but i saw my friend had that winterboard and cydia and that stuff, so two questions :

1. can someone basically give me a step by step how to get cydia and winterboard and such..

2. will this destroy my ipod, basically i mean like - will it go away after i re-sync things onto my ipod or will it stop working after a while? Is this hard to deal with?

plzz help! THANKSSSS

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yes, you can potentially brick your iPod touch. The chances of that are low, but it is possible.

I strongly suggest reading some of the Guides who's links are located at the top of the iPod touch hacking page. This difficulty of jailbreaking an iPod for people with little skills or understanding of them makes this a moderately hard task for some.

How to Jailbreak

How to pwn your Ipod Touch

[​IMG]

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

first question is do you have the 1st generation ipod touch or one of the new ones?

if it is one of the new ones then your journey to hack the ipod has to end here for the time being as you cannot jailbreak the new ipods.

if you have one of the 1st generation iPods then the best one to use will be quickpwn as it's simple quick and easy and takes like 5 minutes to do.

4. Macgic macrumors 6502

NO you can't brick an ipod. if you ever have problems just restore. Like the op said do you have the newest ipod? what FW (firmware) do you have?

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

if you bought a NEW ipod from apple after sep. 9th, than u cant.

otherwise download quickpwn (win and mac) and its REALLY easy.

6. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Those purty ipod touches in them white cases, yeah, those can't be jailbroken yet. :( The black cases are good though ^^

7. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Wrong! lol you can brick an iPod. I've done it before. What happens is the iPod won't start up and keep restarting while trying. This happened to me once and I had to exchange the iPod.

8. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

Did you try dfu mode?
    That probably would of worked.

9. Macgic macrumors 6502

Ya you can make your ipod so it goes through an endless cycle of restarting but if you put it in DFU mode and restore its fine. seen many cases of this

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you fail!

a bricked ipod is one that doesn't power on at all, if it powers on but restarts then it wasn't bricked you could of easily fixed your ipod if you had bunged it in recovery mode ;)

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Really? I first heard the word "bricked" when Apple released an iPhone update which it said would brick jailbroken / unlocked iPhones. Since that was a software update, I fail to see how a software update could cause an iPhone to not power up at all -- wouldn't that require a hardware failure? I always assumed that Apple meant that your iPhone would stop booting up, not that the update would magically break the iPhone hardware. Was I wrong?

12. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Wrong again. lol You couldn't start it up past the apple logo and the iPod wouldn't connect as a device and thus could not be restored.

13. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Couldn't put it in DFU. Tried about 20 times and brought it up to the Apple Store, they couldn't either and decided just to give me a new one.