Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akkkmed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Hey everyone,

I'm having a really hard time choosing a MBP. It's between the base 13" model or the base 15" model. I am more than sure I can get by with the 13" C2D, but I want the speed to blow me away... Right now I have a Dell Studio 14z with 2GHz C2D. Since it's Windows 7, it slows down. I know OS X will be faster, but the old technology, C2D, blah blah is really turning me away.

Even though the 13" can handle what I need it for, I like the bigger screen and better graphics. I'll be using it for: internet, Office/iWorks, iTunes, ripping a lot of CDs, some DVD ripping/encoding, light Photoshop work, and I'm going into some sort of computer science major, so whatever programs I'll need for that... I'm not a PC gamer, but I like to mess around on the demos of the games I like.

13" 2.4GHz C2D (free printer): $1098.95
15" 2.4GHz i5 (free printer): $1668.95

Here's where I'm not sure what to do. If I go with the 13" model, then I will also buy some decent speakers, wireless Kb/M, and anything else I may like and probably don't need. I was thinking maybe a 32" LCD TV, but I'm not sure. I already have a 22" 1080p monitor. If I go with the 15" model, it will be just that. No extras for the time being (not that I need them right now, either)

I'm sorry for such a long post and repeated topic (I hate seeing repeats as much as the next guy!) So...what's your opinion? Thanks!!!!!

bjewett

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Champaign, IL
I'm debating as well. Here is how I worked it out for myself.

If you expect to do most of the serious work with the machine by itself - ie programming for hours, playing/ripping music/video, photoshop etc - without an external monitor, by all means get the 15". If you are concerned about the C2D (I worry about spare parts ... ?), get the 15" with i5 processor. If you may need more horses - not-so-light photoshop, or more serious video - get the 15". If you want anti-glare, you have to get the 15" (dumb policy!)

I'm getting the 13" (sometime - not totally convinced of this release, but may buy). My serious work is currently done with the laptop always hooked to a large display (or I use my old but plenty fast G5 dual-2.3 GHz mac, 2 displays). Serious recording, monitoring, editing, programming ... will probably have an external display connected. The (significant) rest of the time, traveling or waiting somewhere or on the road - lighter and smaller is preferred. So 13" wins: cheaper, easier to use on the plane, battery life forever, easy to carry around, drives external displays with no problem. Concerns: if I need logic board/C2D replacement several years into ownership, glare-display, not enough horses for serious video work, etc. For the latter I'll eventually get an iMac or Mac Pro, so again the 13" wins - for me. I'd much prefer anti-glare but think I may be able to live with it (by all means, try/view before you buy, e.g. Best Buy or apple store).

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I'm debating as well. Here is how I worked it out for myself.

If you expect to do most of the serious work with the machine by itself - ie programming for hours, playing/ripping music/video, photoshop etc - without an external monitor, by all means get the 15". If you are concerned about the C2D (I worry about spare parts ... ?), get the 15" with i5 processor. If you may need more horses - not-so-light photoshop, or more serious video - get the 15". If you want anti-glare, you have to get the 15" (dumb policy!)

I'm getting the 13" (sometime - not totally convinced of this release, but may buy). My serious work is currently done with the laptop always hooked to a large display (or I use my old but plenty fast G5 dual-2.3 GHz mac, 2 displays). Serious recording, monitoring, editing, programming ... will probably have an external display connected. The (significant) rest of the time, traveling or waiting somewhere or on the road - lighter and smaller is preferred. So 13" wins: cheaper, easier to use on the plane, battery life forever, easy to carry around, drives external displays with no problem. Concerns: if I need logic board/C2D replacement several years into ownership, glare-display, not enough horses for serious video work, etc. For the latter I'll eventually get an iMac or Mac Pro, so again the 13" wins - for me. I'd much prefer anti-glare but think I may be able to live with it (by all means, try/view before you buy, e.g. Best Buy or apple store).

^ Good advice.

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
13 vs 15

No need to apologize , this is a forum and alot of members here are glad to help :) .

i say the 15" Macbook Pro is soo much a better deal than the 13" C2D, i think it is truly an old technology even though it would fit your needs , its not really worth it if your paying that amount.

go for the i5 15" or if you can bump to i7 ;) but the i5 should do for your daily tasks ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm having a similar issues with my toilet tissue. I'm pretty sure I want the Cottonelle since it has those ribs and it seems to get you cleaner with less paper. On the other hand, I used Charmin at a friends house and it was so ****ing soft.

Thoughts?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
No need to apologize , this is a forum and alot of members here are glad to help :) .

i say the 15" Macbook Pro is soo much a better deal than the 13" C2D, i think it is truly an old technology even though it would fit your needs , its not really worth it if your paying that amount.

go for the i5 15" or if you can bump to i7 ;) but the i5 should do for your daily tasks ;)

Hold up on being so much better a deal. If they were closer in price, yes, but I wouls say a $600 difference equates to the same value, so I have to disagree there

As far as everyday tasks, you will notice zero difference between C2D and i5. You likely wouldn't even see a difference in Photoshop, because that basically is bottlenecked by memory, and 4 gigs should be plenty. If you got into some Final Cut work, then you could see a bit of a difference with rendering and such. For some sort of computer science major, I would say go for the 13" with the keyboard, mouse and monitor, especially if you already have the monitor. The KB on the computer itself is nice, but you do not want to spend a lot of time coding on it. If you really want the speed to blow you away, get the 13 and spend some of the extra cash on an SSD. You would see far more out of that than you ever would from the i5 or even the i7. A very nice option is the 160GB Intel X-25M gen 2, one of the best on the market, for around $430

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.