I'm really stupid, please help.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by stupidmacuser, Nov 1, 2011.

1. stupidmacuser macrumors newbie

Judging from the title, you may have already inferred that I am probably the most stupidest Mac user ever.

So, in a vain attempt to run Windows on my Macbook, I ran BootCamp.

Sure, nothing wrong yet.

I opened BootCamp Assistant up, partitioned it and all that stuff.

However, when it said to insert the Windows CD...Well...I put in the Windows XP Home Edition CD...Reinstallation thing, which was definitely the wrong CD.

Getting all excited, I watched as these "cool text stuff" appeared on my Mac screen. However, it went all wrong and it told me to reboot the disc.

Being stupid, I shrugged it off and tried to do it...I couldn't. I couldn't see my mouse and I couldn't type. So, I turned off the laptop and restarted it.

It began to read the disk again and all that "cool text stuff" and then the problem persisted. I kept doing it over and over again... My dad finally realized the problem, I had the wrong CD. So, being ever so stupid again, I tried to eject it. When it wouldn't eject it, I'm not sure how, but I somehow took out the CD.

Now, I'm left with some "dead" laptop.

Is there any way to "bring it back to life?"

**If you need any further information, please specify which.

2. simsaladimbamba

Hold down the OPTIN/ALT key right after the startup sound and select Macintosh HD as boot volume. Then in System Preferences > Startup Disk select it as startup disk.
    Then remove the Boot Camp partition:
    Images are clickable, as they need to be in thumbnail size due to their width.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4=5, 5=6, 6=7
    [​IMG]

After that is done, run Boot Camp Assistant again and repeat the installation procedure, this time with the correct version of Mac OS X:

3. stupidmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, simsaladimbamba.

However, it doesn't seem to work..

As soon as I turn on the Macbook, I click the Alt/Option key, but it doesn't do anything.

Instead, it opens to a screen of a lock and a password bar. I tried entering my Admin password, but it doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong?

4. simsaladimbamba

That is the firmware password. You set it up, or the previous owner.

5. stupidmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh! Thanks.

My Macbook did originally belong to the school in a way, but I finished off the payment a LONG time ago, and they gave me a new laptop to pay for....:mad: (telling me that the first laptop I bought from them was completely mine)

Once again, thanks so much. I'll post again if I have any problems...

6. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

At this point I think you should buy a bunch of donuts/bagels and book yourself an appointment at the genius bar and explain really nicely and slowly what you did to your machine.

The donuts/bagels are optional but well ... they always work!

7. stupidmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha...I think I'll take on your advice. Less work for me...and donuts/bagels!

8. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Cookies and/or brownies work also. Almost any kind of food will get a cluster of genius bar staff helping you out!

Good luck!