Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I really want the new iMac but having trouble justifying the cost. Last year I purchased the top line 21.5" iMac ($1499), upgraded the RAM to 12GB. It gets a Geekbench score of 8800.

In the new 21.5" iMacs, I really want the fusion drive so this time around its going to cost me over $1800 with tax.

Any guesses on the Geekbench score for the new iMacs with the fusion drive? If it's over 11,000 I might go for it.

Apple is really starting to piss me off about making things smaller and thinner. Because of this, we lose the optical drive and the SD card gets moved to the back which is really stupid. Then to top it all off they take out the audio in jack.

If Apple keeps doing things like this I may actually go back to Windows.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
If I were you I'd just stick with the iMac you have, the performance difference isn't really that substantial. You could always just install an SSD on your current iMac and It'll make a world of difference..

GrooveOn

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
I really want the new iMac but having trouble justifying the cost. Last year I purchased the top line 21.5" iMac ($1499), upgraded the RAM to 12GB. It gets a Geekbench score of 8800.

In the new 21.5" iMacs, I really want the fusion drive so this time around its going to cost me over $1800 with tax.

Any guesses on the Geekbench score for the new iMacs with the fusion drive? If it's over 11,000 I might go for it.

Apple is really starting to piss me off about making things smaller and thinner. Because of this, we lose the optical drive and the SD card gets moved to the back which is really stupid. Then to top it all off they take out the audio in jack.

Why again do you really want a new Mac?? :confused:

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Just curious, what is it that a new iMac will do that your current iMac wont do?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

Even more if you don't want to downgrade your memory.
$1499 + $200 (RAM) + $250 (Fusion) = $1949 before taxes.

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012

whimsical it's time to grow up, Santa Clauss does not exists, there're people starving on the world and a computer is for working....

shortie8512

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Guildford, UK
Didnt even realize they removed the audio out. Bugger.

It definitely has an audio out (headphone jack)!

I am torn as well. I am waiting for someone to do a tear down on it first so I can at least get an idea of whether it might be feasible to upgrade it myself i.e. we don't actually know if they soldered the memory to the MB not or how accessible the HD is and what exactly the fusion drive consists of.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Just curious, what is it that a new iMac will do that your current iMac wont do?

Wait, I got this one. It will piss him off with its thinness, lack of optical drive, and SD card slot located on the back. It will also set him back $2000.

There. How'd I do? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.