Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I have CalDigit TS3+ and all four ports taken.

Port1: CalDigit TS3+ // UltraFine 4K on the passthrough port
Port2: USB-C to miniDP Adapter for PackedPixels display (doesn't work over the fullsize display port on CalDigit)
Port3: Firewire audio interface (will be upgraded to thunderbolt audio interface)
Port4: Thunderbolt3 NVMe SSD

None can be connected to the USB-C 3.1 and 3.0 ports on the CalDigit.
Both displays are just a waste of bandwidth too, so I could easily get away with a splitter, if it existed, and if any of the damn display had a daisy chain port. My new audio interface won't have one either.

A usb-c to 2x display port splitter won't do good either, because it's annoying hard to convert USB-C input of the ultrafine 4K to display port.

So I have two video ports that i can't really use (HDMI, and fullsize displayport on the caldigit)

Anyone has an idea how to make this work?

I wanted to add another TB3 NVMe drive, but as it is now - i can't

edit:
I guess if the 2nd display worked with blackmagic eGPU Pro DisplayPort, that would solve my issues. But it's a rather expensive solution to gain another TB3 port.

Last edited:

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005

Port2: USB-C to miniDP Adapter for PackedPixels display (doesn't work over the fullsize display port on CalDigit)
Port3: Firewire audio interface (will be upgraded to thunderbolt audio interface)

Both displays are just a waste of bandwidth too, so I could easily get away with a splitter, if it existed, and if any of the damn display had a daisy chain port. My new audio interface won't have one either.

A usb-c to 2x display port splitter won't do good either, because it's annoying hard to convert USB-C input of the ultrafine 4K to display port.

So I have two video ports that i can't really use (HDMI, and fullsize displayport on the caldigit)

edit:
I guess if the 2nd display worked with blackmagic eGPU Pro DisplayPort, that would solve my issues. But it's a rather expensive solution to gain another TB3 port.
You need a NVMe enclosure that has a TB3 passthrough/out. Don't know of any off-hand, but worth a search.
Or replace the Packed Pixels display with something that works off the HDMI or DP.

Reactions: Ploki

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68040
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States

edit:

HDMI TO DisplayPort for the Packed Pixels display? Or if you have an (supported) iPad, simply use it with Mojave/Luna Display/AstroPad/Duet or Sidecar with Catalina?

EDIT: LaCie or MacSales/Akitio might have something storage wise with a TB3 pass through.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
HDMI TO DisplayPort for the Packed Pixels display? Or if you have an (supported) iPad, simply use it with Mojave/Luna Display/AstroPad/Duet or Sidecar with Catalina?

EDIT: LaCie or MacSales/Akitio might have something storage wise with a TB3 pass through.

Hm, didn't think of HDMI to DP.
I used to use duet and the performance compared to packed pixels is abysmal.

i could also use this:

to use the displayport for the ultrafine 4k

Reactions: Zdigital2015

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008

Saving for one myself. Also does passthrough.
i don't like this one because it limits each drives speed to 1/4 of its capacity, because it only has x1 lane per drive.
good for making a hefty RAID out of cheap M2 drives tho.

edit:
i'm thinking of just using the CalDigit's usb3.1gen2 10GBPS port to add a much cheaper USB-C enclosure with a much cheaper (intel 660p) drive that wouldn't take full advantage of TB3 anyway.

Enclosure is also about 5 times cheaper.
so i get around 40% performance hit for... 50% less money.

Last edited:
Reactions: drmeatball

hagjohn

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm a bit unhappy with my WD NAS, speed wise, and I'm looking into this and using NAS SSD's, instead of NAS HD's. I have the NAS and I also have a HD on my Mini, which I use to store my files for Apple Music and TV apps. NAS isn't quite quick enough.

drmeatball

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
Ellicott City, MD
i don't like this one because it limits each drives speed to 1/4 of its capacity, because it only has x1 lane per drive.
good for making a hefty RAID out of cheap M2 drives tho.

edit:
i'm thinking of just using the CalDigit's usb3.1gen2 10GBPS port to add a much cheaper USB-C enclosure with a much cheaper (intel 660p) drive that wouldn't take full advantage of TB3 anyway.

Enclosure is also about 5 times cheaper.
so i get around 40% performance hit for... 50% less money.

Skip the 660p, get the inland premium. Had a 2tb 660, it's now a keychain.

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
Channeling Forrest Gump...
Ports are like a box of candies.
You only get so many of them.

• Haha
Reactions: Ploki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.