I'm scared at what the ash might mean for Britain. Unexpected consequences?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NewGenAdam, Apr 19, 2010.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Is it silly for me to be slightly scared at the potential ramifications of the ash cloud? I'm focusing on where I live, Britain. It's one of the worse affected countries, and there's no sign that anything is about to 'blow over.'

The immediate problems are for people stranded abroad, and the direct losses the industry's suffering by being grounded (estimated to near £1bn already). In themselves, these problems are already severe. People will eventually manage to return home, although I worry about the longer term consequences for the airlines and even the economy. Another immediate but less obvious problem is medicine for those who require it abroad, or for those at home with a doctor or surgeon missing. Important people are also absent from schools, orchestras, and more.

Looking further into an admittedly pessimistic future I worry that prolonged ash coverage, or even the threat of its return will be subtly crippling for Britain's economy. If there is the chance that transport will be periodically severed, the consequence for foreign investment could be severe. This is important for Britain, but could be shipped abroad given enough reason. E**WTF**jokull is exactly not what the country needs - the slow emergence from recession is already being undermined by the prospect of a hung parliament. But that's another kettle of fish.

The best forecasts predict weeks of disorder as planes are relocated and schedules eventually resumed. But this is far from certain.

interesting Slate: http://www.slate.com/id/2251247/?from=rss
    & Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/20/icelandic-volcanic-ash-cloud-editorial
    [edit] & BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8630058.stm

Can anyone assuage my fears?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm more worried about the following zombipocalypse.

3. Mr dj mo macrumors member

The UK sucks, i've lived here for 24years and there is something alway going wrong from goverment to stupid ash cloud.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We never had a massive Icelandic ash cloud over the country during the last Conservative Government, that's for sure. I expect Cameron and Clegg will put this to Brown in the next televised debate.

5. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ha, no government is perfect they all have problems.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Here's an assuaging concept - what good is worrying going to do you? It's a volcano, it's going to do what it's going to do regardless.

I actually find it rather interesting and awe-inspiring in perspective. For all the influence humans have had on the planet, nature will always demonstrate that it has the upper hand.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

[​IMG]

OP I wouldn't worry about it!

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Really cool image.

Did you change your sig just because of this post, or is it a huge coincidence that I read it for the first time on this post?

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Nope its been like that for a couple of weeks :p

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Well I think it's quite appropriate. Well played sir ;)

11. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I know a few Brits stranded abroad, unable to come back for another few days at least.

I couldn't be happier. It is a great thing for the economy. Two of them have the potential to turn the country back to recession, that's how bad they are. :)

Expect Stephen Fry to leave the country, so he can treat about not being able to fly back - the travesty!

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I fully expect Brown to invade Spain under cover of picking up stranded Brits,he's thinking "well it worked for Thatcher".

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

OP, I'd strongly recommend you take advantage of today's date (American format)…4/20.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'm starting to hoard food and ammo.:D

15. djellison macrumors 68020

Yes- you can, just stop being a damn drama queen.
    :D

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Alternatively, you can accept the transient nature of life and your own mortality.

Once you can face these two inevitabilities, fear will become less of an issue.

17. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

hahaha :D

18. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

eh/ I don't get it, maybe I'm slow. And I'm almost certainly a drama queen!

But I don't think it'll cause an apocalypse. However, I do think it could be awful for Britain's economy. As a country, the UK relies heavily on foreign investment for high-value services. Many multinational companies have chosen to be based in and around London, and one deciding reason is the excellent transport offered by plenty of large, international airports.

BBC article
    ' "We are an island nation and without that ease of use and connectivity we would be cut off," says Gareth Elliott, senior policy adviser at the British Chambers of Commerce ... No matter how convincing the balance sheets, how regular the video conferences and how trusted the middle men, a Far East business person is not going to buy a business in the UK without coming here first to check it out. A big deal may require a series of visits by different people. Having to go by ship or not at all would impede that process. And the change in the nature of industry in the UK makes air travel more important than ever before.'

It is entirely feasible that the international companies on which the British economy is founded could move abroad. Much of Britain's role today is as a consultancy/managing middle-man between larger economies such as China, the USA, and the Middle East. Although Britain provides valuable services they are not exclusively offered by the country, and they need not be based there. This is different from say China, whose manufacturing is an inherent part of the country. The USA's established size and global currency grants it power; by comparison, Britain wields far less clout and is vulnerable to whims of the companies choosing to be based in it.

A cloud of ash might seem innocuous beyond its direct effects, but if it returns, is prolonged, or is perceived to undermine the region's aviation in the long-term, companies may well up shop and move abroad. And Britain would suffer.

[/saga]

19. sjwk macrumors member

Impact to Britain?

We've been told by Apple that there will be delays to orders coming into the UK as they cannot be shipped by plane. Orders currently stuck out in China for shipping can come in by boat but that'll add a week or more to the delivery time...

20. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm I would've thought most shipping like this comes by boat. I suppose Apple's quite high value though, and it's actually coming all the way from China. Hey so you're in Oxford too? Isn't it odd having a sky free from the criss-cross of vapour trails!

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ash ban to remain for most of UK

Ah well, OP, read this and weep. ;)

Half of Europe flights 'to go ahead', but not the UK.

I saw one lonely contrail/vapour trail earlier today — just after 1pm. But it was a Lufthansa flight, nothing to do with us.

22. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

haha, near enough: the opposition(s!) are already taking the Government apart, calling their response inadequate. The government's ability to respond will be compromised by the election, and a possible hung parliament...

23. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

GOOD
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8633597.stm ?

So British airspace is open for flights again. But the actual situation of the ash hasn't changed. Neither has the evidence regarding how safe ash is to fly through.

But presumably this means it is safe to fly through the ash, which begs the question WHY did it take so long to be certain? Our tardiness has been costly. Or it begs the question: if there is no new information, can we really be certain that ash poses no threat?

There is an inevitable cock-up here. If the ash is safe, then the problem was not knowing that and unnecessarily prolonging the flight ban. If the ash is dangerous, the mistake is declaring it safe...
    Time will tell which is the case.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Tell you what, you wouldn't get me on the first few planes after the flight ban.