I'm scared (MBP 15")

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tomatoking, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Tomatoking macrumors newbie

I know this is probably your 50000000 time reading a thread on this but..... I'm going to college in about a month and a half. I'm waiting patiently to see if Apple releases a complete over haul of their MB and MBPs.I keep reading issues about the MBP: Vertical stripping, yellowish screen, aluminum bending(or something to that effect haha). I know forums tend to amplify the real issue, but i just want a good product. Do you think these issues will be fix'd with the new montevina inspired improvements? also, what do you think the chances are of the new Macs having major issues?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I bought a 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4 when it first came out and it had screen issues. Sent it back to Apple and it's been fine since then.

3. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

just buy apple care. apple care is your friend;)

4. teh0ne macrumors newbie

The general consensus is that the MB/MBP line won't be refreshed anytime soon, and definitely not before the back to school promo is over (early Sept.).

I don't own a MBP, so I can't comment on the specific issues you mentioned, but if your solution is to wait for the refresh, you're likely going to be without a notebook for the first semester.

5. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

You got warranty, what's there have to worry about

6. hipvamore macrumors regular

i had a macbook forever and loved it. i now have a mbp 15". nothing bad has happened. i also am going into my first year of college so i feel you. i'd get it. its great. you'll love it. and like everyone says. you got a warranty. whats there to worry about?

7. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Don't be scared BUY IT (w/AppleCare), you'll love it! :D

8. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

just don't abuse your laptop, aka drop it, and your casing won't bend. I will agree with those who say the MBP cases aren't the sturdiest or best protection for such a great machine, however, I have had mine for about a year and haven't had any problems. All the other problems mentioned are covered in apple care usually, so no worries at all.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

why get apple care when you buy your macbook? cant you add that later on like in about a year? applecare is just like the warranty you get for free, applecare just extends it

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If the next rev of the MacBook Pro gets a redesign you're screwed...it's been shown that almost all "new" Apple products are very defective, lol. The only exception is the MacBook Air, which is holding up remarkably well for a Rev A product...

Anyways, there are tons of issues out there but you're getting a very skewed perception of the Apple brand when reading this website. It's akin to going to a new city for the first time and only visiting the hospital! You'll leave thinking EVERYBODY in the huge city is sick! Not the right way to look at things. Just buy somewhere with a good return policy and if it's defective you can just exchange it. That's what I did, and that's what most people do. No need for cold feet...Good luck!

11. Pees330 macrumors 6502

Apple can't make every machine perfect, but if there is a problem they are always willing to help. I've had a iBook and now a MBP and never had any problems with them. Some people get unlucky and get a few bad machines. Just get Applecare if you are really worried about having a problem. No matter what company you buy a computer from there will always be some that have problems.

12. kabunaru Guest

There is no exception. I have a first generation MacBook and it's still going strong after these two years. Sure, maybe more people are likely to have problems with their first generation Mac but the problems don't affect everybody who has a first-generation Mac.