I'm scared of touching my Powerbook

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
516
158
Everytime I sit down and touch my Powerbook for the first time, I get a little electrical shock. It used to do this maybe every 50 times or something, but now, every single time I get the little shock. The shock is just like a little static electricity shock, but it's quite annoying.

Anyone else experience something similar?
 

TrashCanDan

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
83
0
Phoenix, AZ
I get the same thing with my Power Mac every time I turn it on. Now I try to discharge the static electricity before I touch it by touching a lamp or something metal. I dont think you can hurt it by discharging on the case just dont let that happen on the inside ;)
 
Comment

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
39
It happened to me too, I have no idea why. Pretty good shock, too... sometimes I could see a spark. :p I'm more concerned about the 'book than my finger...
 
Comment

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
156
0
Are you using the "duckhead" plug on your AC adapter or the long cable plug?

The duckhead doesn't have earth, while the other one does.

It can make a difference
 
Comment

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
I'll bet you live in Colorado or out west right? I live in Florida now and get no shock whatsoever but when I took my powerbook to Colorado last week I got shocked all the time. Its the dry air that creats an electrical current in your body. You see there is not moisture to dilute the electrical field in the air so it is all absorbed in you body and discharges on anything metal that you touch. It happens alot when you sit down and get up. I took a video of me touching the doorknob at the hotel and you can see the blue electricity jump up to 1 inch from my finger to the door knob. I did it with my nose too, that was a hoot. Gave me a headache.
 
Comment

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
39
MacTruck said:
I'll bet you live in Colorado or out west right? I live in Florida now and get no shock whatsoever but when I took my powerbook to Colorado last week I got shocked all the time. Its the dry air that creats an electrical current in your body. You see there is not moisture to dilute the electrical field in the air so it is all absorbed in you body and discharges on anything metal that you touch. It happens alot when you sit down and get up. I took a video of me touching the doorknob at the hotel and you can see the blue electricity jump up to 1 inch from my finger to the door knob. I did it with my nose too, that was a hoot. Gave me a headache.
Wow, learn something new everyday... :D And yeah I live in Minnesota, which is just as bad.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.