Im scared to click upgrade on 10.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eric Lewis, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

I have a iMac 2.0ghz and i plan on buying leopard

will upgrade work well? or no>

how will my other applications such as firefox or ms office or ilife etc work? will they?

what about my itunes music/videos
    iphoto and photos!?

email settings?

should i use the upgrade

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I would backup your system externally, then do an archive and install. This will create another system backup and do a clean Leopard install while preserving your current apps and settings.

3. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

Would cloning the Hard drive work the same way as backing up? I have a ton of music and photos on my macbook that I don't want to loose.

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I always feel safer with a manual drag and drop, but yes, making a clone usually works fine. Boot from it first though once it's made to check.

5. DanB91 macrumors 6502

i assure u nothing will happen when u hit upgrade. worked flawlessly when i upgraded from panther. but if u feel safer, back up ur computer

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Always back up your data you never know what can go wrong

7. SolrFlare macrumors regular

If you are willing to put the time into it, a clean install is always the nicest way to go. I always use times like these to do housecleaning anyway as it gives em an opportunity to find and toss out stuff I don't need anymore that has been lingering on my system for awhile.

Also, if you don't already have an external back up drive, now is the time to nab one anyway as, these days with the prices you can get them, it's pretty much a no-brainer not to have at least one. Never mind being able to take advantage of time machine in Leopard by having one.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have nothing to worry about. Upgrading a Macintosh operating system is no more traumatic than upgrading a mission-critical application--probably less so.

9. projectle macrumors 6502

Pressing that little "Upgrade" button is no more dangerous than swapping out your car's motor with one from a lawnmower and going for a quick couple hundred mile trip far away from all other human contact.

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

11. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I love carpet.

You'll be fine. Some people say it is better to back up your drive and do a clean install, but end of the day, up to you. I'd still back up your drive though whether you upgrade or do a clean install

12. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Fear is the mind killer.

-mj

13. markcres macrumors 6502

markcres

I drive an old Fiat 126 with a 2-cyl 700cc engine... so your comparison doesn't worry me at all!!

It's 'Upgrade' for me!!