I'm sceptical about getting an i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZakK, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ZakK macrumors newbie

Hey guys, this is my first time posting at the MacRumors forum :)

So I'm looking at getting a new 17" MBP as my primary machine. It'll be my first Mac, but I'm not new to the world of Mac.

I was going to get a 17" 2.66GHz i7. However, although this will be for general use too, it's mostly going to be for audio production and recording. I'll mostly be using Logic but I may branch out a little more when I get more experienced.

I've become a little sceptical though due to hearing lots of problems with people trying to use programs such as Pro Tools and Mainstage with the new i7. So I could get a 3.06GHz C2D instead, but I'm worried that it'll become 'dated'?

So I'm trying to figure out which to get. Do you think a lot of the i7's problems will be sorted soon? If you've used the i7 for recording and such, how have you found it? What would you recommend?

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be great :)

2. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I have 0 issues with mine. The few that have problems shout loud online, or are just plain making the issue worse than it is. People really have become picky these days. I wouldnt buy the C2D, but Id rather have the i7/330m

3. autacraft Guest

17" 2.66GHz i7, 500gb 7200rpm - I have this machine and do a lot of sound production, photo editing and design work - Its an absolute gem and my main system nowadays, a real workhorse.

Go forth and purchase, you really wont be disappointed.

P.s - Not a single glitch on my machine since I got it. Runs like clockwork, and boy can she run!

Good luck!

4. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

x2

I have a 15" i7 and do a decent amount of photo editing and some design stuff with out any issue. Best machine i have ever had!!!

5. ZakK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for clearing that up guys :)

How much difference is there between 5400 Rpm and 7200 Rpm?

Have any of you had any experience with refurbished Macs from the apple store?

6. applepearpp macrumors regular

if you really were to spend the money on a c2d rather than an i7, you're quite idiotic. my 15" i7 is running like a charm.

7. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

I have the 17" i7 and haven't had any problems. What are all these problems that the OP is speaking of?

And yeah, a faster HD always helps.

8. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

You might just want to get the 5400 and upgrade to a SSD afterward.

I hear good things about the refurb store though I have never purchased from it.

Good luck!

9. lickitysplit macrumors regular

I don't do sound recording or anything but I do game a lot on my machine in Windows 7 and it has been fantastic. I even game with it in clamshell mode using an external display and I've never had a single problem with mine. Its an :apple: so I'm not surprised.

10. iBunny macrumors 65816

What problems are you refering?

I have zero issues with my MBP.

I have owned 3 MBPs so far... a C2D 2.4Ghz, C2D 2.8GHz Unibody, and now the i7 2.66GHz Unibody.

The i7 has been just a rock solid as the rest of them... just faster :D

11. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Like the others have said, OP, what i7 problems are you referring to?

I've heard nothing but amazing things about the i7. Mine should arrive next week :D

12. Raggy macrumors newbie

If I can also chip in. I also have the i7 and would mate with it if I could, I love it so much :eek:

13. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

15" i7 here. Runs perfectly. Did have some weird graphic issues, but after installing gfxcardstatus, I have had no problems

14. ZakK thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just read a few people have had problems with it crashing with Pro Tools and Mainstage, but it sounds like a pretty solid machine so I'm sure it'll be fine :)

15. Xil3 macrumors regular

He asked a simple question, and doesn't deserve this kind of harsh response - go back to that bridge you came out from under.

16. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

17. ZakK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help guys.

I managed to get one of eBay with the following specs:

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    4MB on-chip shared L2 cache per processor
    8GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA; 7200RPM
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB GDDR3
    Hi-res Anti Glare Display

18. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Nice RAM upgrade! If you were to pop in an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD (240GB = $549) you'd have a speed daemon. :cool:

19. djfisk macrumors newbie

1,5 ghz of raw power!!!!

Since everyone's into posting their flashy specs:
    I have a 2004 15" G4 Powerbook. I've been wanting to upgrade for a few good years, but the b*tch simply will not die or let me down. I may just be running Ableton 6 with Reason 3 rewired, FCP5, CS3 and Traktor 3 - but she's still quite the workhorse, the ol' mere :)