Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eckndu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
im considering selling my 3gs, it's on ios4.0.1, i activated it in itunes with my sim card and my apple account, used jailbreakme.com to jailbreak and then unlock it.
i'v logout from the app store, what else should I erase, I count sell it as unlocked.

thank you

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
unless you are a rocket scientist and have some secrets on there I wouldnt worry about it much. just delete your contacts, email accounts, logout of iTunes, delete your pics, and maybe even delete your apps, recent calls, voicemail, etc. you will be fine!

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Hopefully you've saved your SHSH with Cydia. If you have, then simply restore the iPhone to 4.0.1 and re-jailbreak with jailbreakme.com. If you didn't save the hashes, then you'll need to see if the phone is worth more jailbroken and unlocked. If not, then restore to 4.1 and let the new owner wait for the 4.1 jailbreak, if the new owner really wants a jailbroken iPhone. Check eBay for prices.

I personally wouldn't sell my iPhone unless I restored it. I'm paranoid and while I know where a lot of files are, I don't know all the places stuff is hidden.

eckndu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
what's shsh??
all I did was editing some host file in /etc/, im not restoring it anyway.

what about that erase all data option in iphone? will it un-jb it and relock it?

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
what's shsh??
all I did was editing some host file in /etc/, im not restoring it anyway.

what about that erase all data option in iphone? will it un-jb it and relock it?

yes.

or more accurately, you will NEED to restore phone and rejb...

and if you don't know whether you have SHSH on file, open up cydia, it should tell you at the top what SHSH blobs have been stored for you.

eckndu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
it says SHSH: iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1
i think i'm done

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
In order to restore your iPhone, the firmware needs to be signed by Apple. iTunes connects to Apple for "permission" to install the firmware. This signature is device specific. When Apple releases a new firmware, they stop signing the older firmware. This "permission" file is your SHSH, called blobs or hashes. Cydia stores your SHSH on their servers and when you restore using an older firmware, you can direct iTunes to search for the "permission" from Cydia instead of Apple. This allows you to downgrade firmware. But if Cydia does not have your SHSH on file for the specific firmware you are looking to install, then you will not be able to install this firmware. When you open Cydia, at the top of the screen, it will say SHSH: iOS xxxxx where the x's are the firmwares that Cydia has these SHSH hashes on file. You can only install firmware to these OS versions, or the current Apple version (4.1). Since Cydia says 4.0.1, you can restore to 4.0.1 and then re-jailbreak with jailbreakme.com. You'll have all of your personal data removed.

jphlau

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
Go to settings --> General --> Reset --> Erase All Content and Settings.

Will be good as new..

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
it says SHSH: iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1
i think i'm done

It means you can restore to any of those firmware versions.
So if you want since you already edited your hosts you can download an official 4.0.1 ipsw and restore to it. After its done setup as new phone and not from any of your backups and then JB and unlock it.

eckndu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
In order to restore your iPhone, the firmware needs to be signed by Apple. iTunes connects to Apple for "permission" to install the firmware. This signature is device specific. When Apple releases a new firmware, they stop signing the older firmware. This "permission" file is your SHSH, called blobs or hashes. Cydia stores your SHSH on their servers and when you restore using an older firmware, you can direct iTunes to search for the "permission" from Cydia instead of Apple. This allows you to downgrade firmware. But if Cydia does not have your SHSH on file for the specific firmware you are looking to install, then you will not be able to install this firmware. When you open Cydia, at the top of the screen, it will say SHSH: iOS xxxxx where the x's are the firmwares that Cydia has these SHSH hashes on file. You can only install firmware to these OS versions, or the current Apple version (4.1). Since Cydia says 4.0.1, you can restore to 4.0.1 and then re-jailbreak with jailbreakme.com. You'll have all of your personal data removed.

that's great, thanks for the clarification. one thing: I also jb it while it was on ios 3.1.3, how come that firmware version of shsh isnt on cydia's file?
quick edit: that's because I didnt use cydia's host to install that firmware, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.