Im selling my macbook what do i need to do

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Vegan TJ, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

like how do i wipe my hard drive so no one can get my personal information..or is there anything else i need to do ..and how do i do it?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Once you have everything off the hard disk then erase with at least a 7-pass zero write.
    35-pass is overkill and will take hours if not days on a 160GB drive.

Then use your install dvd's and install Leopard and iLife. When it gets to the opening video just shut the machine down and then when the new owner starts it up they can put in all their info and go.....

3. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

Logona, do you know of a way to install the extra iLife apps onto a machine that includes them on the install DVD? The OS installation doesn't often include them off the bat, so usually you need to install them after you boot the system.

4. Vegan TJ thread starter macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

ok thanks but how do i go about wiping the hard drive.?

5. applepalace.com macrumors newbie

Hi,

start your computer with the installation cd, go to the disk utility from the top bar. Erase or Partition your harddrive.

Have a nice day

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Depends on the MacBook - Santa Rosa machines were the first to come with 10.5 and iLife 08 installed on hard drive and also on the grey install dvd's.

The original poster has a 2.4GHz MacBook so if they do an install on to a clean hard drive it will install 10.5 plus iLife 08. The install uses both disks and asks for disk 2 to complete the install.

If your MacBook is pre-Santa Rosa then that won't happen. I cannot think how you would do it on an earlier MacBook since although you could do an instal of Leopard you would have to past the Leopard install video and create a user account before you could install Leopard.