Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Here's the short of it:

iTV: May or may not happen (recall how many years we've been waiting for iPhone nano or iPad non).
LED-backlit LCDs: best LCDs out there. Bright, clear, lowest power consumption of TV types. Doesn't have the deep blacks of plasma or OLED. Cost is pretty good. I like my Samsung.
Plasma: I believe burn-ins are a thing of the past. Good blacks, sharp picture. Heat is an issue, which means power consumption is, too. Good bang for buck.
"Standard" LCDs. Unless you are just looking for a budget TV, dammit don't get one.

Definitely do research on TVs. Check out sales and same-as-cash programs. Don't go with less than 120Hz unless you are on a tight budget. 720p is OK for 32" range if you're going to be a good distance away. Above that, you really need 1080p.

Research your Internet capability options. If you have an Xbox 360 and Apple TV, will paying more for those on the TV help? They're almost standard now, but consider that when making a pick. Also see whether it comes with a WiFi dongle or whether that's another $80 (ripoff!).

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
You can put me in the camp that thinks the long rumored "iTV" isn't real.

Unless and until Apple has the digital infrastructure and deals in place to offer it as an all in one gaming/video player & content store--and have a subscription based TV model in place--I just don't see it as being a viable product. The margins would have to be low in order for it to compete with the only profit Apple sees coming from revenue from iTunes. They already do that with the Apple TV box.

Apple doesn't enter a market unless they think they can make something that is dramatically better--which usually means simpler and with less interconnected hardware.

Simply offering a TV Set with integrated Apple TV doesn't accomplish that.

I'm sure they're testing several variants, but that doesn't mean they'll see the light of day.

In short, I wouldn't make a buying decision on a TV based on the notion that Apple might come out with one. I'd bet on it being a new incarnation of the Apple TV box when it happens.

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
Something no-one has mentioned but has become important to me....

I bought a Sammy 47" LCD 2 years ago.
It has 2 USB ports on it.
What I didn't know at the time was that all the Samsung sets have built-in video playback software/hardware.
It's very robust and will play .avi, .mkv, .mp4, .m4v, and will output AC3 5.1 digital audio via lightpipe/optical output on the set.
The largest file I've played back is a 8GB .mkv from s 16GB usb stick.
Looked and sounded great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.