Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I have had 3 zagg glass on my plus, and so far all end up with a sharp corner or a chip. It's in a magpie case and it never fell. are they that weak that they damage so easy ? I'm going to go with a tech21 screen in hopes that it last longer , yea I'll get less quality from the screen but I rather deal with that than replace screens often . Anyone else have this issue

waynerbbx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
I don't think you're alone in thinking that glass screen protectors are not the greatest. They have their faults. I still use plastic, and have no plans of using glass. There are just sometime so many problems with screen protectors, plastic or glass, that it seems somewhat smart to just avoid them altogether.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
I used to buy Spigen glass screen shields, but they're expensive. I only would replace them after one of the chips caused them to start separating from the screen itself, but even waiting that long made it too expensive for my broke-college student bank account. I switched to cheap ones from amazon that cost <$10 and in all honesty they work the same, and I'm a lot less annoyed when they chip because I didn't drop $35 on it.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Zagg glass is garbage, I had that when I first for the 6 Plus and after a week or two with carefully handling my devices which I baby all of them, I took it out my pocket and there was a chip without dropping or anything so that ruled them out right there. I have had the Tech Armor Ballistic ever since then and all has been well. You can also go with a good PET screen protector to but I always prefer glass.

Reactions: Chrisjaylv

Jzo

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
I don't think you're alone in thinking that glass screen protectors are not the greatest. They have their faults. I still use plastic, and have no plans of using glass. There are just sometime so many problems with screen protectors, plastic or glass, that it seems somewhat smart to just avoid them altogether.

I installed my first glass screen protector the other day, and so far love it.

Although I have always wondered when people say:

"I dropped my phone and the glass screen protector shattered, but I peeled it off and the phone was perfect! These things are great, will be buying more!"

I wonder if they used a regular screen protector, if the real phone glass wouldn't have shattered either? Hard to guess I suppose.

waynerbbx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
I installed my first glass screen protector the other day, and so far love it.

Although I have always wondered when people say:

"I dropped my phone and the glass screen protector shattered, but I peeled it off and the phone was perfect! These things are great, will be buying more!"

I wonder if they used a regular screen protector, if the real phone glass wouldn't have shattered either? Hard to guess I suppose.

I know what you mean, however, I've personally never had a shattered screen. I see people all the time that do have them, but it's never been a problem for me. For me, the plastic works just fine, and every glass that I've had (while feeling nice) breaks around the edges, or isn't perfectly adhesive. Not too sure if that's just my experience or what, but i suppose screen protectors and installations are a matter of personal expertise and preference.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
I think some may have just installed these incorrectly of which the edges go to far out to the rounded part of the screen. Only way I can imagine my zagg glass to shatter is when I drop it.

Mind posting pictures of where the cracks occur?

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
I think some may have just installed these incorrectly of which the edges go to far out to the rounded part of the screen. Only way I can imagine my zagg glass to shatter is when I drop it.

Here's one of my old ones that for some reason I have a picture of:

rYZWvYP.jpg

You can see how it had chipped along the edges. Some of the cracks were from the phone falling, some were from the stress of prying the screen shield off of the phone to replace it.

I rarely ever drop my phone. In this particular instance I was dressed in business attire because I had made a presentation for a class earlier in the day. The pants I was wearing had very shallow pockets, and the phone was too tall to fit in my pockets without sticking out to some extent. When I got back to my suite in my dorm, I went to the bathroom with my phone still in the pocket (which I almost never do).. and yeah. It fell out onto the tile floor face down. The cracks at the top and the small ones on the very bottom left corner happened from that impact. All the ones in the middle (including the long vertical one) occurred while I was peeling it off. There was no use in being careful because it was already cracked, and the silicone adhesive keeps all the glass together so it wasn't like I would have shards of glass flying in my face while I was removing it.

My phone's screen was perfectly fine.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010

You can see how it had chipped along the edges. Some of the cracks were from the phone falling, some were from the stress of prying the screen shield off of the phone to replace it.

I rarely ever drop my phone. In this particular instance I was dressed in business attire because I had made a presentation for a class earlier in the day. The pants I was wearing had very shallow pockets, and the phone was too tall to fit in my pockets without sticking out to some extent. When I got back to my suite in my dorm, I went to the bathroom with my phone still in the pocket (which I almost never do).. and yeah. It fell out onto the tile floor face down. The cracks at the top and the small ones on the very bottom left corner happened from that impact. All the ones in the middle (including the long vertical one) occurred while I was peeling it off. There was no use in being careful because it was already cracked, and the silicone adhesive keeps all the glass together so it wasn't like I would have shards of glass flying in my face while I was removing it.

Your post is not exactly answering the question of whom you quoted. Nevertheless, 1.) you got your money's worth with your protector. 2.) You're lucky the phone didn't fall into the toilet.

----------

This I agree with. Best Buy in Baldwin, New York did a crappy job of putting on my protector and wouldn't stand behind their work by redoing it. I saw a clear distinction between glass that lay flat on flat surface and glass edge that was protruding beyond the waterfall curvature of the iPhone screen edge. I said to them, your install is what's going to cause me to have a premature chipping at the edges, besides looking like hell with it being installed cockeyed and all. I went to another Best Buy that didn't have a cretin running the mobile area and got it fixed and I'm satisfied.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Your post is not exactly answering the question of whom you quoted. Nevertheless, 1.) you got your money's worth with your protector. 2.) You're lucky the phone didn't fall into the toilet.

I was kind of just posting it for the sake of showing the wear and tear they can take before they finally quit on you. There were some visible cracks and chips along the edge of that one but their visibility in that picture is debatable.

The cheapo one that's currently on my phone is probably a much better example of edge-chipping because I've been using my phone naked.. but my phone is my camera so I don't really have a way of photographing it unless I use one of my roommates phones, and that's not worth the effort unless anyone is genuinely curious. I obviously can't demonstrate wear when poorly applied to a the edge of the curved screen because the iP5 doesn't have one.

With regards to phones falling into the toilet: when girls drop their phones in the toilet it usually flies out of their back pocket straight into the toilet as they're pulling their pants down. I don't keep my phone in my back pocket for a number of reasons. I typically don't even bring my phone into the bathroom because of hygiene reasons, even though in the grand scheme of things it probably makes very little difference. It's just a mental thing. In this instance, I had just gotten back to my room after a long day and had completely forgotten my phone was even in my pocket. I just threw my stuff down and mindlessly went into the bathroom without either changing clothes or taking it out of my pocket first.

Last edited:

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I brought mine into the bathroom once and, grabbing for the phone on the sink, made it Frisbee out of my hand and just miss plopping into a loaded toilet. I freaked out how close that was. I wouldn't have been able to take it to the Genius bar, no way.

Femme

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
$10 for tech armor tempered glass and so far so good for me. Great customer service too from my experience.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
I brought mine into the bathroom once and, grabbing for the phone on the sink, made it Frisbee out of my hand and just miss plopping into a loaded toilet. I freaked out how close that was. I wouldn't have been able to take it to the Genius bar, no way.

"I uh... I dropped it in a puddle."

... A very nasty puddle.

That's a close call and another reason I just don't bring it into the bathroom altogether. Somehow something stupid like that can happen even if you're careful. Not worth it.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
$10 for tech armor tempered glass and so far so good for me. Great customer service too from my experience.

That's going to be my next. I'd rather that then go for the overpriced Zagg replacement with its nearly equivalent price in shipping for its so called lifetime warranty after having paid forty dollars at retail.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
My wife and I both have Zagg glass protectors on our 6+ and we have both have had them replaced 3 times. Neither of us have dropped our phones. They just chip. We are both super careful with our phones. They were all installed at the Zagg kiosk in the mall.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.

Gee that doesn't look like an iPhone 6/6+ glass.

Kdub0716

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2022
Puyallup, Wa
Always keep a replacement on deck. I have the invisible shield which I love working somewhere where everyone else can see my phone screen if I’m too close. I’m in a position where I’m in charge and my phone needs to be private. I use the warranty and always be proactive rather than reactive. As soon as I replace one there is another one in order. My wife also deals with hippa for her job and it works wonders. Zagg honors their warranty replacement. Use it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.