I'm so angry....I'm gonna get a Kin

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dsr1205, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

3. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Its microsofts now killed series of phones. It was a "featurephone" or "dumbphone" that pretended to be a smartphone. The two Kin phones and their respective OS was only out for two weeks and sold supposedly only 600 seriously

4. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

This should be a page on Facebook. "I'm getting a Kin. LOLjk Microsoft discontinued it."

5. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Who? What? when and where are you gonna get one? :rolleyes:

6. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I see that "ex-girlfriend" commercial every two seconds.

7. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

I thought it was funny! I am getting REALLY tired of those commercials!

8. bfh123 macrumors regular

So if you factor in how much they spent on advertising, versus how many they sold (I heard 600 somewhere too), that makes the KIN quite possibly the most expensive phone ever produced.

9. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I worked with the company that helped with original development with Sharp and MS. Glad I left when I did because that was a epic failure of a phone!

10. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I never understood the Kin. The appeal is the cloud-based OS, with Facebook/Myspace/Twitter functions. But why not just get any smartphone? You have to pay a premium for the Kin each month, so it's a total rip-off since it's not even a smartphone.

11. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

The funny part is that when the "pink" project (later named Kin) was started they were claiming that it was going to be a iPhone killer. I laughed my ass off at that one. I kept my iPhone in my pocket to avoid a lynching.:D

12. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

There have been a few "iPhone killers" the past couple years and they all went down in flames. iPhone may not be for everyone, but I think as far as the real smart phone market goes, it's here to stay.

13. kels0119 macrumors member

kels0119

This really made me lol! The kin was dumb though. Besides, who would give away the secret location for the ?uestlove concert? I mean, I thought the point of it would be to keep it small and personal, ugh!

RIP Kin, you always be remembered as "Wtf is that? Gkad I have my iPhone".

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I knew the kin was going to fail since day 1. What were they thinking?

15. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.125 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

I just googled the Kin. This is the first time I've even heard of it!

16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Wait, they stopped making it? Why the hell do i keep seeing ads for the thing then? They sure spent a lot of money advertising it to just discontinue it. I mean I knew it was going to fail and fail hard, but it seems they did too and just liked to throw money away on it (why bother with all that if you are only going to give it two weeks?!).

I still don't get the point of the phone, I even looked it up to see what it did. I have no clue how they thought that would sell...

I just don't get it.

17. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I wish I could say the same. Even with TiVo, I have seen too many of the stupid commercials. Good riddance!

They made the announcement today. The commercials will peter out shortly.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They're not stopping production yet, they're just not doing a release anywhere else in the world anymore.

19. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Never even heard if it.

*quick google*

'never released in europe' that may explain why then.
    What a complete disaster, for any normal company they would probably be facing bankruptcy now.

From wikepedia

'[edit]Missing features
    Reviewers have highlighted a number of notable omissions from Kin's initial feature set:[23]
    Kin has no calendar or appointment application,[30] nor any ability to sync with Outlook calendar or Google Calendar.[25] Some commentators have suggested that a social phone should be able to share a social events calendar.[25]
    Kin is unable to Instant Message (IM), or use any IM client,[30] which is considered odd for a phone built for messaging, and aimed at the youth market.[25] It was discovered that the ROM inside KIN contains the foundation for an IM system supporting AOL Instant Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, and Yahoo! Messenger, but it is not currently operational. It was speculated that future revisions of KIN would enable instant messaging.[33]
    There is no spelling correction or predictive text input on the Kin.[3]
    There are no MicroSD or memory expansion slots.[3]
    Kin will not sync or transfer contact lists from some non-Microsoft services (eg Gmail and Yahoo! Mail). It only syncs contacts from Windows Live and Facebook accounts.[3] A workaround is available to sync Gmail contacts via the phone's Exchange functionality.[34]'

Kin does not support uploading photos or videos to Twitter.[25] Retweets, direct messages, viewing single person updates, and opening Twitter links from the Loop are also not supported.[3]

The Spot cannot be used to send content to social media sites.[3

It seems they didn't really think anything through on this phone, also going after iPhones main Market (teenagers) was a terrible idea.

20. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Has any other phone failed this quick? I saw this thing advertised a lot the past few weeks. I just assumed every 12 year old would have one soon since they were pretty inexpensive.

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Not what I read. I just looked it up and they are stopping production and are claiming they'll help verizon on getting rid of the rest of their inventory.

Can you have a phone that requires a data plan on a pay as you go pay plan? Cause if I were Verizon and I had these phones that weren't being sold before they were discontinued, that's how I'd get rid of them. I think they might actually be appealing to the pay as you go crowd. I could be wrong on that though.

22. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Microsoft is the corporate equivalent of a headless chicken.

23. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

I have to admit when I saw this thread appear earlier I told myself I wouldn't post at all and avoid it, but it's too funny to pass up.

Good job, OP. At least some of us retain our sense of humor in this time of not being able to call people who care... ;)

24. cciliberto33 macrumors regular

Before the news broke, did anyone notify the next of "kin" :cool:

25. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

[​IMG]