I'm so confused... (how clicking works)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gorjess, Jun 18, 2007.

1. gorjess macrumors newbie

I just bought a macbook on saturday and I can't figure this thing out.
    I realized I can't right click, so how do I delete things like bookmarks? and how do I open a link in a new tab (with firefox)? or even a new window?
    Also, I noticed that I cant maximize anything all the way because it only maximizes up to where there is something on my desktop. Is there any way I can maximize my windows all the way?

I have a million more questions but I'll just try to figure these out for now.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is supposed to be an option in system preference->mouse->trackpad to utilize two fingers to perform "right click", but I just like a simple mice.

firefox opens new tab by default

maximize button is a tradition of Macintosh, so you will have to get used to it.

more questions? search forums first, then ask,

welcome to MR.:D

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you hold down the control key and then click, this is 'right click'

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

yeah, you have to enable 2-fingered right-click in System Preferences. It's really a lot easier than on PC laptops where you have to feel around for the specific right-click button.

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Ctrl + click is the same as right click, or has been said, you can enable two finger tap =right click
    The apple+T key opens a new (Blank) tab in fire. Hold apple+click on the link to open the link in a new tab. Or Ctrl+click the link to get the context menu to open in new tab.
    The maximise button is like a smart button, it readjusts the window to fit what's in the window and no more. If you really want it full screen you need to resize the window, click on the resize corner (bottom right) and drag to make it bigger.

6. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

7. skwij macrumors 6502

You set Firefox tab behaviour in Firefox>Preferences.

For more control over tabs, and the session restore feature, check out TabMixPlus

Extensions and themes work the same as they do in the Windoze version of Ffx.

Also, stuff will download by default to your desktop. You can change that in SAFARI's preferences (strange I know, but that's where you set up where downloads go).

Maximising only goes as far as needed, not full screen. Much better, once you get used to it!

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox' download location is controlled by firefox's preference, not safari's

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Welcome to the Mac. First thing you should realize is while very similar in many ways, this is not Windows. Right-clicking is not necessary for much (if anything), though you CAN right click as others have mentioned. There is no maximize function like you're used to, rather the zoom (green '+') button will resize the window to best fit the content you're viewing. If you give the lack of maximization a chance you may find that it is a better way of working/multitasking, rather than filling your screen with lots of wasted space.

10. skwij macrumors 6502

True, but unless you specify that, downloads by default will go to the desktop due to Safari's default config.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, yes, but "download to desktop" is default behavior in firefox on windows/osx/linux, i.e. its NOT "due to safari's setting". and you can change it in firefox's preference, the whole process does NOT involve safari.

12. skwij macrumors 6502

Thanks for the correction. I know that in earlier versions of Ffx for Mac this wasn't the case. Just checked my newly-updated version and yes, that option is now there.

Sorry to the OP for any confusion my prior posts may have caused.