Im so excited check it out!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by natebookpro, Apr 18, 2009.

1. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

2. natebookpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Clyde, I would definitely expect you to understand! Oh and a late welcome to the intel era, congrats on the MBP. But yea this is bringing me back fond memories of my nice little plastic iBook G4 may she R.I.P.

3. gerabbi macrumors regular

Can you explain "that feeds the AppleTV"?

4. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

very awesome, my friend. there's a few out there that have good prices. tempting:D

5. natebookpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just a media server. I have an old AMD Athlon running Windows XP, the thing has to be 9 or 10 years old. It is just sitting in a closet, running iTunes, hardwired into the Time Capsule. I have been ripping my DVD collection onto two 500GB HD's I threw in there last year. Pretty basic setup, but it gets the job done. I have just been itching for one of these G4's so I could get rid of Windows completely.

6. natebookpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not to mention I just gained back my firewire functionality that I lost with my Macbook.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

8. mac88 macrumors 6502

Awesome buy! Enjoy it. I just picked up an awesome G5 from eBay the other day (should be here on Monday!!!) and I am going to be using it for my media streaming etc. Goodbye HP!

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Congratulations, it looks like a stellar buy. Hop you enjoy it :)

10. gerabbi macrumors regular

Excuse my density: I'm trying to grasp what you're doing. I have an Apple TV and a UniMacbook. I have a hacked, or patched AppleTV so I can attach an external HD that contains my ripped DVDs and I store my iTunes music collection on the AppleTV internal drive. Now...
    You are unsing your G4 as a wirelessly synced iTunes server from the G4 or TC to your AppleTV? Can't you do that with the UniMacbook? Syncing your iTunes library with the TC or the AppleTV? Or maybe I am missing the advantages of your setup. Or maybe my setup?

11. natebookpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, you can do that with the Macbook, the only problem is it needs to be on and have itunes running. The G4 will always be on with itunes running. Another advantage is I can throw an additional couple hard drives in the G4 and set up a RAID array so that when one drive crashes I dont lose the hundreds of hours that I have spent ripping my dvds. And no need to excuse yourself, feel free to ask away!

12. gerabbi macrumors regular

Okay. Thanks. I understand now. I think I've 2 externals with one serving as a backup of the other! So I think we're almost doing the same thing, for probably close to the same cost. Except in case of catastrophic failure you still have a computer: MB and G4:)

13. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

14. natebookpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im hoping for the same!