I'm so glad I have a Mac...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom Sawyer, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I personally would be very curious to see a costs/benefits analysis on the customer service costs associated with this system and the reductions in piracy.

3. rayward macrumors 68000

I think the initial cost of migration to Mac, with new hardware and retraining, is what keeps businesses on Windows. After that, Mac have to be cheaper to run as they require less tech support and less additional software (anti-virus etc.).

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's just like the government looking at upfront costs instead of what they should be looking at, total cost of ownership.

Ex. Bolt "A" costs .99 and will last for year. Bolt "B" costs 1.99 and will last for 20 years. Let's buy Bolt "A" because it looks cheaper on paper.

5. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Yeah, I mean not having the option to upgrade your video to 100's of 3rd party vendor offerings without buying a new machine is a lot better than that hassle. ;)

PS> I'm not a hater, just pointing out the glass house you're standing in while you wing stones about wildly. :D

6. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

There are other factors other then just cost. Unfortunatly going with Apple is putting all your eggs in one basket. With PC you can change hardware companies without have to redo your apps. Also there is the cost of not having many alternatives available. Less number of developers etc... It is not always about cost but control. Apple requires a signigant loss in control (not technical but political) And if Apple goes bad (which it can do very quickly) it will be an other costly migration to go back to windows or Linux etc...