I'm so pissed off at spam

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Draddy, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Draddy macrumors regular

So today I open my e-mail account and see that I have freaking 900 unread e-mails since this morning..

Yeah, so apparently, some spammer decided to use my e-mail address as the "from" address on ALL of his spam, so I now have 900 "undeliverable" new e-mails and counting.

I can't do anything about it because I would like to get proper undeliverable e-mails.

I have a private server, so I have a box trapper client installed that requires an approval message before I receive messages, so that blocks all of the penis stretching e-mails,

but for some reason it lets all bounced mail through....

my iPhone has been vibrating non-stop since this morning and I'm really really getting pissed off.

2. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Agreed. It happened to me a few days ago but it has since stopped or tapered off. Luckily, Gmail caught most of it for me.

3. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

I filter all of my email through gmail now. As far as I can tell, its got the best spam filters anywhere, and are always up to date. Works great for no fuss spam filtering.

I rarely get any spam at all. Once in awhile 1 will squeek through, but that is once in a blue moonl.

4. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

that's nor the issue, I never get spam. I have my own server and a great server side spam filter. The issue is that spam servers let bounced "undeliverable" mail through. That is all i'm getting.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I feel for you, this happened to me a while ago. It took a few weeks, but eventually it died down.

Hang in there. :(

6. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

that really sucks. Have you tried changing your email password, I know thats what helped with my hotmail. Not so sure about gmail though.

7. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the tip, but they didn't send it from my e-mail account, the just put my e-mail as the from address, it really had noting to do with me.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

never post your email address on the internet publically. this is how spammers find email addresses to send crap to. most of my spam was addressed to my username. if you absolutely have to post your email write "username_at_gmail_dot_com" or something similar. also have an email address that you use to sign up for things. i use hotmail haha.

after doing this and using Gmail i hardly ever get spam anymore. the ones that do get thru get sent to Mail's junk box so i have a clean inbox.

9. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

You don't consider unwanted mail, spam? Someone used your email address to send spam to others, and some of those people don't exist so you get the undeliverable email. That's still unwanted mail. The best you can do is wait it out or filter it out.