I'm sorry but Apple has to do something about this...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kjs862, Nov 18, 2008.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

My 6 year old 14.1" Dell inspiron 4150 notebook has a better resolution than my brand new macbook pro... so sad.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

How is that sad?

3. swordth macrumors newbie

Higher res on a finite sized screen is not always a good thing actually. I quite like the resolution for the MBP.

4. kjs862 thread starter macrumors 65816

kjs862

Because I wish that display was on my macbook pro that I just payed $2000 for.

Better for working with things in PS I think.

5. AquaMethod macrumors member

1440x900 is actually higher than typical for this size of notebook. What was the native resolution of your Dell?

6. danny_w macrumors 601

So why did you buy the MBP if it didn't have what you wanted?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just because he critiques apple doesnt mean he doesnt want a mbp...

theres a lot of things apple needs to change imo

8. kjs862 thread starter macrumors 65816

kjs862

Uhh cause its 6 years old...

CPU
    RAM
    HD
    etc

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Me too.. ;-)

+1

I have used Dells in the past.. they were Fine... but I BOUGHT a MBP 2+ years ago.. and then ANOTHER... :apple:

I suppose you should use the Dell if it's better/makes you happier to look at..??!!

Just thinking Out Loud...
    ;-)

10. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

If you're doing PS stuff, you should probably have an external monitor anyway.

11. kjs862 thread starter macrumors 65816

kjs862

The but OSX so nice hehe

Well that what I have my PMG5 and 30incher for =D

12. AquaMethod macrumors member

For color moreso than resolution, yeah. No laptop display will reproduce colors as well as a good external display. And Dell does make some very nice displays.

13. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

Yep, I had a laptop around that timeframe that had a super high resolution display too. And it pretty much had to run at that resolution or the fonts were not clear. One year on that machine and now I have to wear bifocals. There is such a thing as too much resolution for the size.

As for the MBP's resolution capability, I have a 30" LCD that I'll be using with mine and as far as I know, the resolution of a 30" LCD is about as high as they go today. Could your 6 year old Dell drive a 30" LCD?

I can tell you this... I would use an abacus for my computing before I'll buy another Dell product. That is not a company you want to do business with for any reason.

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The standard laptop that my employer hands out is a 15" Dell with 1920x1200 display. I don't know of anyone who hasn't lowered the resolution (except me, even though it hurts my eyes). I haven't done since I use it mostly as a desktop attached to a monitor, and when I do use it as a laptop, it looks like crap when not at native resolution - so much crap it gives me a bigger headache than running it with tiny icons and text.

You'll get higher resolution Mac screens when Leopard goes truly resolution independent (fingers crossed for Snow Leopard)

15. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I don't get why you folks are not responding to the OP for real?!?! He's pointing out that his MBP has an inferior screen in terms of resolution to his old Dell. He never said that the old Dell is better, just the screen. So why do you keep responding with random comments?

There's no advantage to a lower resolution screen, one can always increase the font system wide, and each letter will be just as large on a higher resolution screen as on a low resolution one, just better resolved.

Also, why should he have to buy an external screen to do PS work? WTF?

Get over it, Apple is not providing a higher resolution screen because it costs more and because we all love their computers&OSX enough (or simply lack alternatives) to make the compromise. I'm including myself here.

16. AquaMethod macrumors member

I think a lot of people are just sharing their experiences with higher-resolution 15" screens. He posted to get an opinion, and he's getting some. What's the harm in that?

You can't easily increase the font system-wide. Even so, text in formats like Flash won't be affected. The icons and click-targets will also remain small.

Why should you have to buy a hammer to build furniture? Because it's a tool necessary for the trade. Photoshop, by definition, requires a display capable of better color accuracy than laptop displays can provide. If you're spending $1000 on Photoshop, you're obviously serious enough to get a proper display.

Apple is a company whose goal is to make money. Maybe some people don't understand that, but they should. Most of the time, what works for Apple is what works for the customer. If he or she doesn't feel that Apple is offering a good product, then he or she can shop around. No big deal, right?

17. kjs862 thread starter macrumors 65816

kjs862

Very true ... makes me think about all that stuff that happened with Psystar today. Apple really needs to start giving us better options.

The reason I started using Adium on my MPB is because when using ichat i would take up too much of the screen and also I would have to scroll while to see all my buddies. With adium you can see all my buddies without scrolling.

18. bcaslis macrumors 68020

So how about answering the question? What resolution does a 6 year old Dell have? I seriously doubt it was more than 1440x900.

19. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I don't understand this comment actually. The display on my MBP seems to have better color representation and overall is easier to read than the 30 inch and 24 inch monitors I spend a combined $2500 on over the last 15 months. If it had 1920x1200 or 1680x1050 pixels I'd prefer using it for PS work over the larger monitors. What, if anything, am I missing about your "hammer to build furniture" analogy?

PS: Many people, e.g. students, get special pricing on photoshop, paying way less than $1k for it.

20. 173080 macrumors 6502

1680 x 1050 would be ideal for the 15" MBP.

I do find the 1440 lacking.

21. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I had a 17" with 1440x900 so the 15" w/ 1440x900 is great. Have you ever noticed how small the icons/text are under 1680 x 1050?

22. Darth Cow macrumors newbie

I know Apple's strategy of hitting only the broadest market segments means we aren't likely to see a higher resolution screen soon. But it's a feature I would really appreciate, and I too hope that with Snow Leopard OS X will truly be resolution independent in a way that allows Apple to use super high resolution screens. But I'd guess we have a while to wait at this point, especially because individual programs have to be adjusted to work with it.

This is the one regret I have in buying a new MBP to replace my Dell (with its 15" 1680x1050 screen). Those extra 240 pixels make a big difference.

23. djellison macrumors 68020

I had a Toshiba laptop about 5 years ago. 15". 1600x1200

I had a Dell laptop with 1920 x 1200 about 3 years ago.

Compared to the screen on this MBP - I miss the resolution.

No one thinks that every Mac display should be higher res.

But why oh why will apple not give people THE OPTION.

Doug

24. 7even macrumors 6502a

Meh. I'm glad Apple is still using 1440x900, my eyes are happy with that resolution on a 15.4" screen. A higher-res option for people would be good, but I don't think there are any 1680x1050 LED-backlit panels available. I doubt they would offer a resolution upgrade that's actually a downgrade in screen quality...

25. workerbee macrumors member

+1

Add a RGB LED backlight screen to the mix, and it would be perfection. Or to put it another way: this would be what I'd expect from Apple for the so-called "Pro" line.