I'm sorry for you guys (but glad for me!)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sergiobaschi, Oct 16, 2014.

1. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

This was almost better than I could have hoped for. The base mini will be perfect as my new HTPC. I could live with the HDD, but I assume it's replaceable, and all I need is a 64 GB SSD.

But for serious usage: wtf.

2. AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

Better GPU (although this was a given) and lower price point are obviously nice.

3. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

It will be nice if you can actually find a PCIE SSD, as of today I'm not aware of any aftermarket PCIE SSDs available. If the drive in the same as the macbook Pro and the base mini has the appropriate PCIE connector, you could buy a used drive that someone pulled out of a broken Macbook Pro. The New generation time capsule is identical to the Airport Extreme but apple removed the connector on the logic board to ad your own hard drive.

If there is only one Sata/PCIE cable/connector you might be best to put an SSD internally use USB 3 to expand your stroage.

4. sergiobaschi thread starter macrumors regular

Since the standard drive is a 2.5" 5400 RPM HDD, I simply assume I can swap that to a 2.5" SSD.

5. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

That s what I would do, just it would not be a 64GB.

6. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

Can someone tell me the difference between the older 2.3 i7 and the new 1.4 and 2.6? are the upgrades worth it, will there be a noticeable improvement?

7. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

There are several threads discussing that already. You might want to take a look.
    But in short.. Most of the previous generation had quad core CPU's. Now all of the new ones are only dual core. On paper that makes the new ones look half as powerful. In reality, thats not the case. But it's true to say that the new ones are generally not as powerful as the ones they replace.
    But that in no way suggests that the new ones are not powerful enough for what you might need to use one for.

This largely concerns the CPU's. Where graphics are concerned however, it's different. The latest ones will be an improvement over the previous generation.