"I'm sorry, I have an iPhone..."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snowfall, Apr 25, 2010.

1. snowfall macrumors member

"... in San Francisco."

I'm so tired of having to make that apology.

Apparently microcells aren't much help here either, since the microcell will too quickly hand you off to an already overload tower. Not that I think paying more to AT&T to overcome their network's shortcomings is a great answer either.

Since the WiFi crapped out in month 13 of my ownership too, at times my poor 3G is less useful than an iPod Touch. WiFi hardware breaking down is apparently pretty common.

Options:
    • Cancel early and pay prorated termination fee. But to get what?
    • Wait for next gen iPhone on a different carrier, pay $10-$15 less of a termination fee. Start complaining about Verizon.
    • Keep poor lost iPhone, get a prepaid phone to supplement it... maybe with Google voice?
    • Forget the iPhone, start raising pigeons (more reliable)
    • ?????

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if ATT cant provide you service, you dont pay etf

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

I could look into the cost of a repair from a 3rd party, but Apple asked for $199 since it was out of warranty.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but AppleCare is offered for a reason. I highly recommend it.

7. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

Does this count when service is there, just extremely unreliable? Voicemails sometimes don't come through for hours, I get calls dropped in the middle, sometimes calls won't connect at all... and sometimes everything works ok.

I've taken to using Skype for important outbound calls, but can't always control who calls me.

8. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

You're probably right, but unfortunately that horse is decidedly dead.

I have friends at Apple who commented on my misfortunes with my iPhone WiFi with "yeah, those components are sub-par." I should expect a reasonable life out of my electronics... but then there's expectations and there's reality.

And extended warranties.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. McBeats macrumors 6502a

damn this is a lousy thing to hear... :(

my friend up in berkeley/oakland says its aight (i know its not exactly sf, its east bay area)

here in south orange county, the service isn't that bad actually, get 3G almost anywhere, except for those cellphone blind-spots (that every carrier gets practically, prolly bcuz of mountains n whatnot)

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If service with at&t is so bad, then I would suggest going with a different carrier.

12. nycbhh macrumors member

I feel your pain man. I’m in NYC and AT&T has been nothing but problems and a huge waste of money for sporadic service for me here.

I suggest you try The Incredible on Verizon and the HTC EVO on Sprint. If you have the room on your credit card, you could try both within their 30 day return policy. There is supposed to be a major marketing event for the EVO on May 12th and the expectation is that the release date will be announced then. Rumor has it that the release date will be either June 6th or 13th. So let’s say the date ends up being on the 13th, you can get an Incredible say on Saturday May 22nd, try it out for three weeks, then get an EVO on the 13th and have a week to play with that, compare coverage and speeds between the two and make a decision on which one you want to return.

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Why don't you try your luck at the Genius bar, and see where it gets you.

I have had many good things happen there, as long as you are very nice and reasonable with your request.

14. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Wow that's pretty bad, I don't understand how the iPhone has been out for so long and AT&T still has such a bad network.

15. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

I generally have good experiences at genius bars too, they've always been very helpful. Unfortunately, my visit there with my iPhone resulted in the $199 quote. I suppose I could always try another one.

16. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol
    Probably 33 billion:)

18. thebez macrumors regular

In my area, it turned out to be the phone. I recently sold my iPhone (to be fair it was a first gen) and I temporarily popped my sim card into a Motorola F3 (so no 3G on it either). Long story short, I now get 3+ bars where I used to get no service at all. It's really sad that my $25 brand new unlocked phone gets reception, sound quality, and speaker phone so much better than my iPhone did.