I'm still amazed by the Retina Display

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAppleGeek, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

In the last few minutes, I've been looking at the iPhone 4 screen; tilting in any direction just to see one pixel.

I can't.

I place it on the computer desk and notice how much nicer it looks from a distance. I put it a few inches in front of my nose - I still see the quality of it.

Superb job, Apple.

2. JMB1911 macrumors regular

I hear ya. the more I use the phone the more I am amazed at the screen. When I look at a friend's 3G screen it looks fuzzy, it feels like I am having a hard time focusing. The screen is AMAZING>

3. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I feel the same way! This screen is absolutely unreal! It's probably the nicest display i've ever seen. The 3G and 3GS's looks so bad now in comparison, almost like a toy.

4. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

It makes my eyes melt. I love it. Every time I pick up the phone I'm like "whoa"

Good stuff.

6. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

My friend, who also happens to be an iPhone geek, has a 3G. When I saw it today, I was astonished how different it looked.

7. lilo777 macrumors 603

Apple does not make these screens. You are probably comparing the screen to 3GS. Other companies have been selling phones with high density screens for quite a while now (Motorola Droid, HTC Nexus One etc.). The real question is whether the higher pixel density of iPhone 4 screen brings any benefits compared to other screen (where you also can not see the pixels)

8. stphnman20 macrumors regular

I finally got to play with one today and yes, the retina display is awesome! I cant wait to get one tomorrow! :apple:

9. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    It almost certainly came down to who could provide the screens in enough numbers, within the necessary timeframe.

Industry rumors said that Super AMOLEDs were considered, but Samsung couldn't provide enough, for example.

In the end, Apple went with a screen made by LG, which turned out to be a perfectly good choice.

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

I held my iPhone 4 up next to the EVO several days ago. The iPhone looks quite a bit better when comparing screen quality. You might want the EVO for the bigger screen, but the iPhone 4 screen definitely looks nicer.

11. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I concur. Every time I look at this display, I am amazed!

12. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I doubt it. This smells of something Apple took their time with and perfected it with a manufacturing partner. They probably started working on this before the 3GS was released.

And I doubt they ever gave AMOLED serious consideration. Steve knows his customers would never be satisfied by a screen with over-saturated reds, unreadability in daylight, and high power draw unless 3/4 of the screen is black, no matter how bright and contrasty it looks in a dark room.

13. techluvr macrumors regular

I'll probably never be able to use my MBP again after getting this thing from what I have been reading. I've never seen the retina display, or anything over about 170PPI for that matter, so I will probably be shocked. Can't wait!

14. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I have 15/20 vision so I can see some pixels sometimes ( I AM NOT COMPLAINING ) This thing is amazing to look at! :eek:

15. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Perhaps, perhaps not. One thing for sure: Apple owes a lot to the dozens of other phones that for years had pushed resolution limits into WVGA+ while Apple stayed static with their HVGA.

LG had already done a higher resolution LCD back in 2008 for their own phone.

Interestingly, Samsung is now also running out of AMOLEDs to supply HTC, so the latter is going to be subsituting Super TFT (aka IP) LCD displays into some of the Incredibles being built now.

The iPhone has gone through screens that were too cool (blue), and ones that were too warm (yellow).

The daylight display thing is why they would've talked to Samsung about Super AMOLED.

You have the black issue backwards. AMOLED displays already use less power than an LCD partly because they don't require a backlight. When there is a black or dark background, the AMOLED power advantage over LCD simply increases.

16. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

I'm glad to see I'm not alone with my thoughts. :)

17. ConceptVBS macrumors member

It was not Apple who designed the "Retina display". All they did was put a brand name onto it - "Retina Display"

LG had their high density IPS LCD screen for years before Apple's announcment of the iPhone 4.

Apple initially looked at Samsung for Super AMOLED displays but found that their supply was limited to meet Apple's demands. So they went with the next best available display technology, LG's high density IPS LCD.

Apple took that display and branded it as "Retina display".

Mark my words: once Samsung has their newest generation OLED plant up and running in mid 2011, Apple will start requesting a higher density AMOLED screen from Samsung. LCD, technologically speaking is far inferior to AMOLED, no matter how much Apple tries to spin it otherwise.

In 10 years, LCDs will be gone the way of the CRT. Trust me. OLED is the future.

18. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I really love the display. It's VERY easy to read from!:cool:

19. SirHaakon macrumors 6502a