I'm still on 7.1.2... Is 8.1.2 worth it?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by viperGTS, Jan 2, 2015.

1. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Hey MacRumors! My iPhone 5s is currently on 7.1.2, and I'm pretty happy with it. However, iOS 8.x has some pretty cool features that I would want as well. My main concern over upgrading is experiencing worse battery life (it's already pretty bad in 7.1.2), and the ability not to install apps outside of the App Store via provisioning profiles (think GBA4iOS and the like). Apparently, you can't even view the profiles in iOS 8 anymore, which in my opinion is a step back.

With those concerns in mind, is iOS 8 worth the upgrade?

2. iPhone20 macrumors regular

wait for 8.2 ... Its pretty solid for me and has many bug fixes.. For me its just a little bit less than 7.1 ... Maybe 1 or 2 betas will make it to the 7.1 level.. dont update now.... Just wait for 20-30 days more :) :cool::apple:

3. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

Performance deteriorated on my iPad Mini with 8.1.2.

4. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Yes, but that's not the case with phones....I have 5S on 8.1, jailbroaken, works perfectly...

5. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

my 5s works beautifully on 8.1.2, no performance hit really. the 5s is still a relatively new phone.

6. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

How would you guys say battery life is on iOS 8?

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Upgrade to 8.1.2 and don't wait any further.
    Definitely better than iOS 7, and battery life is unchanged.

8. iOSBry macrumors 6502

Agreed - I'd wait for iOS 8.2.

Aside from some nits, it's nearly rock solid and I dare say faster and more fluid. I have seen a few component crashes such as with the BTServer, MobileMail and UserEventAgent and have submitted the crash logs for each to Apple engineering for resolution.

iOSBry

9. Jtern macrumors newbie

I'll vote no, ios8 has been a let down for me since debut. New iOS 8 features arent useful to me. Bugs and glitches happen every once a while but they're memorable, then you wonder how a new os can regress so much.

10. nordique macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think so

iOS 8 runs buttery smooth on the 5S.

Plus the little things make iOS 8 and improvement over iOS 7 in my opinion, such as swipe-deleting messages in mail, the widgets, and handoff are all immediately noticeable advantages.

I also appreciate being able to send quick texts when you receive them by swiping down.

iOS 8 is about streamlining and its a shame it came out so buggy because its really a fantastic upgrade.

I had to use Apple care plus on my iPhone 5S and received the iphone with iOS 7 installed still....I ended up putting iOS 8 on because I missed the little things I could do with iOS 8.

I think with iPhone 5 and above, iOS 8 is worth it. I have it on my 4S too but that is another story where keeping 7 has much more merit - I just find handoff to be super awesome.

11. Imory macrumors 6502a

And it shouldn't. The fact that we act surprised by it is just bizarre. A 5S should last quite some time without any deteriorating performance.

12. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

It will last as long as iPhone 6/6+ just because of one reason, all of them limited to 1GB RAM and Apple will need more optimization to get it working well. If Apple would went with 2GB RAM, they wouldn't take big attention to 5S and lower or would deliver fragmented iOS for it.

13. saudor macrumors 6502

It runs ok on my iPhone 5. Like others said, i think on phones it's fine. Just becomes a lag/crash fest on iPads

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I've yet to see a single bug that isn't app related on iOS 8.1.2 on both my iPad and my iPhone

----------

iPhone 5S is about one and an half years old, and it has ABSOLUTELY no deteriorating performance with iOS 8.1

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The fact Apple released iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 3 with 1 Gb of ram actually guarantee that iPhone 5S and iPad Air will be greatly supported for quite a long time by developers and Apple itself.

16. Imory macrumors 6502a

Fragmentation would not be an issue and there's no reason or excuse for the fact that their newest phones have been crippled with 1 GB of RAM.

With all their profits they have more than enough resources to optimise iOS for devices with 1 and 2 GB of RAM. It all boils down to how greedy one will get.

----------

I never claimed it had any deteriorating performance. Read what I wrote again.

But iOS 8 was such a shamble that it did raise questions how it could possibly be released in the terrible state it was.

Let's hope the weather app gets fixed unless they want to show how terrible coding can affect all their devices, regardless of how impressive the hardware is.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

So was IOS 7, IOS 6, IOS 5. It seems that apple has not learned their lesson in this regard. So was Vista, ME etc; releasing less than perfect software is not limited to apple.

At least IOS 8 did not have a lock screen bypass hack that was present in IOS 7.

18. Imory macrumors 6502a

I personally didn't think iOS 7 or 6 were that bad. I didn't notice any performance hick-ups with any of those on the lead platform, which we have on the 6 and 6 Plus. I remember iOS 7 having slow animations, but they were still 60 fps with no real visible lag.

That was unfortunately not the case with iOS 8 when it was released. It still has its problems in the weather app and sometimes through auto-scrolling a list of 50 or more items within the core apps.

Hopefully 8.2 will solve some of it, if not all of it.

19. I7guy macrumors G5

I could never reproduce the issue with the weather app even though I was given step by step instructions on how to reproduce the issue.

I haven't noticed any other issues. The core app most needed is mail, had their been any hiccups with that app I do think I would have been peeved, putting it mildly.

20. Imory macrumors 6502a

Really? You don't see frames dropping severely? That's very surprising. Expanding and collapsing by having at least 3-4 cities in it. It's a lagfest on every device I have. Created a thread about it where a lot of people chimed in and shared the same experience.

I just genuinely feel it's been too unpolished compared to previous releases. One that would seriously compromise the image and work of Apple, claiming they only offer products that "just work". Not to mention the premium they charge, I do expect more from them than their competitors.

21. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

do it. nothing on ios 7 on the 5S thats better than a 5S on ios 8. If it was an iPhone 5 i'd say leave it on 7.1.2.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

No, I don't see frames dropping at all. As far from a lagfest as it can get. And even if it were the case, I wouldn't care about the weather app as there are hundreds of ways to get the same info, if the way the stock app delivers it doesn't work for you.

23. Imory macrumors 6502a

That's strange.

To me it does matter when Apples own apps are worst than third party apps that run great on iOS 8.

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

In my personal experience, iOS 8 was acceptable (not worse than iOS 7 at the time of its release), and iOS 8.1 is just fantastic.

What's wrong with the weather app?

----------

What issue with the weather app?

25. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

It works fine on my iPhone 5S as well. However, the iPad Mini is about a year older and it is definitely more sluggish than before.