I'm still using the original Apple TV...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ATEspo, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ATEspo, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019

ATEspo macrumors regular

ATEspo

So i bought Apple TV when they first came out (I don't even know what year that was), and I am still using them to this day on 2 TVs in my house. I am experiencing some issues with them (mainly when streaming photos/videos from my phone/iPad/MBP or watching youtube - and the random total loss of communication) and was wondering if I would benefit from a newer model. I don't use it much anymore, only when I want to watch some youtube videos or some photos/videos from my phone/iPad/MBP. I love the idea I can send anything I want to it from my Apple devices, which is why I am looking into buying 2 more, and quite frankly I don't know much about the other benefits of it over my fire sticks and if its worth upgrading the 2 OG's I currently have.

EDIT: Looks like I am actually using the 2nd gen Apple TV, I remember purchasing it from the Apple store sometime in 2011 so it couldn't be the OG 1st Gen.

2. truettray macrumors 6502

truettray

Even just buying a 3rd gen second hand would probably be better. I'm not sure if this is still a thing, but there was a time when you could sell your 2nd gen Apple TV on eBay for a ton of money. They were popular in the modding community at some point. I made a solid $100 over what I paid for my 2nd gen back in 2014.