I'm still waiting for a WiFi scanner

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by wesg, Aug 26, 2008.

1. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

It's been 2 months since the App Store went online, and yet there still doesn't seem to be a free app to search for Wifi more efficiently than the system preference panel.

I did find one called Wifinder that seems to do the job, but it costs cash. Has anyone found an alternative or am I out of luck because a program like this violates the SDK? (Violates it by accessing system level hardware)

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Clearly it doesn't, because there is an app. If you don't want to pay three bucks, I guess you're out of luck...

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If Wifinder can do it, anyone can...there is obviously no breach of SDK in Wifinder, otherwise it wouldn't be available in the store.

4. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

well this might not be easy for you, but i just leave the wi-fi on constantly, and when i want to look for a wi-fi spot, i just open up an app that requires internet, and if theres a wifi spot in range, a small window usually pops up listing the hotspots asking you which one to join, or cancel and use 3G.

5. aetheric macrumors newbie

yFy Network Finder - Top shelf wifi scanner for iPhone

If you are looking for a top notch iPhone wifi scanner and are willing to spend $2.99, there is an app you really should have a look at. yFy Network Finder takes wifi scanning to a new level. It is aggressive, database driven, and has fully integrated maps inside the app. It has a rich feature set in its initial 1.0 release and has an aggressive development plan including many new features coming in future updates.

http://www.infomind.com/iphone/yfy.html
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yfy-network-finder/id345218189?mt=8

6. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

It's not free, but I've found WiFiFoFum pretty useful.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

People this thread is knocking on 2 years old!